Health Insurance?

How do you chose?! Ive never dealt with getting insurance before..
Any. All. Advice will be good! ... Im lost!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:29 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Money & Work

• We have preexisting conditions, so I went with the only company that was willing to approve us. We pay $482 a month and have a $9000 deductible. The plan doesn't cover much of anything. The biggest reason to have insurance is to negotiate costs, though. I had a surgery that the insurance company was billed I think $15,000 or $16,000 for, and the negotiated cost was around $5000. The insurance didn't pay anything, but it saved me 2/3.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:22 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• You need to compare: coverage, deductibles, premiums, are alternative treatments needed/covered, etc.
    Anonymous

• One thing to consider is which providers are covered. Is your current doctor on the plan? Is the hospital that you want to use on the plan?
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 5:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Ugh.. this really sucks.. We RARELY go to the dr! (I havent been to a dr for being sick in about 5yrs!).. My dh goes about 3x a year for sinus infections & DD maybe 2x a year... We dont spent over $500 in 6mo for dr. apt... Yet, from what i see every 2mo its going to cost us about $500 just-in-case!
    (if im going to have insurance id like for it to help pay for visits/meds)...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:47 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• If you're relatively healthy, price out higher deductible plans, like $3000 to $6000 per person. You'll not pay a lot in insurance premiums, but you will have the benefit of coverage IF you have a terrible accident... But make sure your insurance saleperson is very knowledgable, as you might need her help in the future on a claim...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 10:40 PM on Feb. 24, 2011