Respect

We all have an intrinsic right to think what we choose. This is not about respecting the right to believe or not believe, it's about belief and lack of belief, in itself.

If you are atheist/agnostic, do you respect the beliefs of believers? If your answer is no, does this effect how you treat believers? If you answer yes, please explain.

If you believe in god, do you respect the position of an atheist, being that they lack a belief? What about people who believe in a different god than you? Do you respect their belief? If your answer is no, does this effect how you treat atheists, or people who believe differently than you?

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 5:32 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Religious Debate

• i respect a person who believes what they have found to actually be true by examining facts and using their brain.... but no matter what anyone believes, i would still want to treat them with respect and not treat them different b/c of what they believe.
    sarlove01

Answer by sarlove01 at 4:00 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• cont....
    However, if someone tells me they have that same belief, but can actually give me a valid or understandable reason why they believe, then I have much more respect. Evidence would be the best argument, but since most religions don't have evidence, I can be very understanding of certain peoples' emotional reasons, even if I don't agree that they prove anything. After all, I wasn't always an atheist, I had to do a lot of thinking to come to this point. I guess, in the end, I can respect beliefs that I don't agree with, but I can't respect ignorance.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 6:46 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• And on a side note... There are atheists who are just as caught up in being emotionally attached to a different belief or way of thinking as any religious person.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 6:50 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I'll break the chain of mutual agreement in this thread (cause I so love doing that)...

I'm an atheist, and I do not respect certain beliefs, but I do still respect the person having them. It really depends on the situation and the reasoning the person is giving me for why they believe. If the belief is obviously based on blind faith or the out-right ignorance of the person, then I have no respect for it. (For example, a lady at work who told me her reasoning for being a creationist was that she "didn't really pay attention in science class, and evolution just sounds dumb".) I will be nice to the person if I don't know them or if we are in a setting where it would be inappropriate to debate them on it, we might even be acquaintances, but I have a hard time being good friends with someone who I can't get into deep conversations with without having to stop and explain things in first grade English. cont...
    metalcowgirl34

• I respect the beliefs of most. There are a few though that are so far twisted narrow and hate full with their beliefs it is impossible to respect their beliefs.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 5:39 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• i respect anyone's belief
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 5:34 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I respect any belief that doesn't hurt others. All of my friend IRL are Christians. THey are the best example of what I think a christian should be if they truly have love in their heart.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:47 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Really-it rarely, if ever comes up in my circle of friends- but I do tend to shy away from anyone that speaks too much about one particular part of who/what they are does not matter if its money, religion, politics, kids, whatever- I am more of a doer than a talker- I more likely go for a run, a hike or ski with a group of friends than go out and have coffee, drinks or yack....
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 6:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I respect every path (even that of non-belief) and strongly believe that each of us has to follow our own convictions in finding our way. Faith is too personal to say that there is only one (or a few) accepted ways of belief. So I respect the position of Atheists. I understand that they are just following their convictions like the rest of us. IMO Atheism is a path just as valid as any other.

The only kind of belief I have problems with is the kind that causes people to treat others badly. Whether that's Christians spewing hatred at non Christians (or even fellow Christians), or Atheists going around telling believers that we're stupid or somehow "less than"because of our faith, its not about the belief itself but the negative way it is projected upon or used to effect others. We're all entitled to our beliefs, but there's no reason to treat others badly because of them...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:55 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I simply can't respect the beliefs of believers.Outwardly I treat them like everyone else, but inwardly, I pity them and wonder what is missing within them that they have to seek happiness, purpose and fulfillment from believing in mythological stories.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:02 PM on Feb. 25, 2011