How short is too short??

I watched a local parade this morning, and was shocked at how short the cheerleader's skirts were. We're talking high school cheerleaders. When they were just walking normally, the skirts were waaaay upper thigh. I understand they need freedom of movement...but what message are we sending?

How short is too short for you? Example:

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 6:12 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• My sister was a cheerleader in the '80s and their older uniforms were longer (mid-thigh), but the ones they got her last year were short. She said the shorter ones were WAY easier to move in (plus, uniforms come with these undies things that match the uniform and some of those are like boy shorts, or at least that was one option at our school). She also ran track, and the shorts were a looot shorter than the skirts on a cheerleader uniform. I know a lot of parents have issues with them being so short and I totally understand that, especially on really young girls (like kindergarten through Jr. high), but it honestly really does depend on the individual cheerleader IMO. Some of them use their uniforms to try to get guys, some of them just like to cheer and couldn't care less about how they look in their uniform. But if you don't want your child cheering in a uniform that short, it's within your power to stop it.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 7:48 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• There isn't a message that they're sending. You're reading too much into it. It's a uniform to better performance, not an outfit they wear everyday. It isn't any different then a volleyball, ice skating, or tennis uniform. It doesn't mean they're being too sexy, they're trying to send a provocotive message, or anything of that nature. It's too give the ability to do kicks, jumps, and the-like while performing. What's it any different from gymnists wearing leotards that are cut hip high, or swimmers wearing hip high cut bathing suits? Would that be that they're trying to send a message of sexuality? No, because it's a uniform. That's why they wear spanks underneath to cover the parts that need covering.

Your post is an example of reading too much into things. Parents are way too cautious and too hightened to things these days. To the point where everything is something when it's actually nothing.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:39 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• those don't look that short. i've seen shorter. everything that needs to be covered is covered and most uniforms are much more revealing than that. they look fine
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 6:17 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I'm fine with it. Swimmers on the high school teams wear less and that seems to be fine. It comes down to the athlete and what type of attraction she is looking for as to if it's ok or if she is portraying a less than moral image of herself.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 6:20 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• wow...really? I sure hope my daughter doesn't want to be a cheerleader, because it's not gonna happen in that outfit.
    brandyj

Comment by brandyj (original poster) at 6:21 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• i was 6 when i was a cheerleader and my skirt was that short.....
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 6:28 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Looks normal to me.. I have seen worse
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:38 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• yep i've seen shorter than that. Its the norm these days.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 6:50 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I don't think I'm reading too much into it. Look at where the cut draws the eye....especially where it would draw a boy's eye. I stand firm in my belief that it's way too short. They could do kicks and splits in a mid-thigh, pleated skirt; I know because my mom was a cheerleader in the 70's.

brandyj

Comment by brandyj (original poster) at 7:16 PM on Feb. 24, 2011