Choosing the sex of your baby?

Do you think it's a good thing or a bad thing to be able to pick the sex of your baby?

thoughts?

Bugzmomma

Asked by Bugzmomma at 6:25 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I would love the choice. I can see where the technicalities might go bad but if all the kinks were worked out then absolutely. I've always wanted a boy then a girl. I have my boy now I'm scared I won't get my girl unless we adopt. It's the only sure way to pick right now.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 6:28 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• idk if it would be good or bad, but I wouldn't do it. It's just not natural.
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 6:28 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Its a tough question. I have a boy now and would really like a girl. It'd be cool to pick. However, I could see why people don't like it-the gender ratio being thrown off and stuff like that. Also, the argument that you should take what nature gives you and we shouldn't have 'designer babies.'

erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 6:28 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• You can't do that now .. Yes, there are ways to sway it more towards one gender, but there's still no exact science to it.
    I don't agree with it. I think people should be happy with whatever they get.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:32 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I think it's a bad thing for the world....Look at China....they have a generation of boys coming of age and no girls to marry....many little girls were thrown away...as well as male children who were showing signs of being gender variant....they also throw away or abort children with disabilities.....one of the repercussions of this is that we are starting to look at children as commodoties to be ordered rather than human beings who are blessings....and we don't accept them as they are....as a culture, mind you, I'm not talking individuals...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 6:32 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I am torn. I think if it were possible to say "I want... " and get that without having to actually select from a group of embryos that would be kind of cool. I don't like the idea of making several little babies and having to pick which one survives. To me they are my babies at the moment of conception... so it would destroy me to think of having any die.

On the other hand I did say a prayer and ask God to please please please give me a girl! So I guess at a basic level then yes, I want to be able to have a girl!

It's just a slippery slope!
    angelmommy11

Answer by angelmommy11 at 6:34 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• No way.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 6:45 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• You absolutely CAN do this today. It is done through IVF with another test called PGD (Pre-implantation Diagnosis). Along with testing for many genetic diseases & abnormalities that the parents carry & have possibly passed onto the embryo, you can find out the sex of the child before it is implanted into the uterus. Many embryos are tested so you have the option of choosing the sex.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:26 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I have never cared about the gender of my children only hoped for healthy children. I would not want to choose the gender of my child just not that important.
    FricknFrack

Answer by FricknFrack at 9:33 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• It's a bad thing!  The countries where that has been practiced are now faced with a serious gender imbalance.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:15 PM on Feb. 24, 2011