Obama... WTF? Do you Think he Knows how the Government Operates?

(CNNMoney) -- What happens to Social Security if the government shuts down?  "People don't get their Social Security checks." That was President Obama at a press conference last week.

.....During the last major shutdown, which lasted about a month starting in late 1995, the Social Security Administration mailed checks throughout the crisis, and a close reading of established law makes clear the agency has the legal authority to do so again.

"I am absolutely sure the checks would be sent out," said John F. Cooney, a partner at law firm Venable who designed shutdown plans for the government while employed at the Office of Management and Budget.

Robert Reischauer, president of the Urban Institute and a trustee of the Social Security and Medicare trust funds, backed that view, saying claims that benefits won't be paid are "not true."

The legal case is pretty clear. In 1995, President Clinton's lawyers in the Department of Justice laid out how federal agencies should operate if Congress failed to appropriate funds.

The White House, Majority Leader Reid and the Office of Management and Budget did not respond when asked by CNNMoney for clarification

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 6:35 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think he has a very narrow scope of how things work both in the government and the private sector! He has lead a very sheltered and privileged life, and we're seeing the negative effects of him never holding a job long enough before campaigning for something better! He is simply a tool--a puppet--for the DNC and Progressive financiers like George Soros! Oh well. LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I think he knows because I don't think he is dumb. I think he knows and just doesn't care.

No offense to people who like him. I personally don't think he's doing a very good job.
    angelmommy11

Answer by angelmommy11 at 6:36 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• He knows. He is using fear to try to force something his he didn't even try to do when he had the super majority and could have gotten any budget he wanted passed. I don't think he knew he had to propose the budget. And then, OOPS! We don't have a budget. I bet its Bush's fault.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:48 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• You can thumbs me down all you want, just because someone has a different opinion then you doesn't make it wrong.
    prettyinink2011

Answer by prettyinink2011 at 6:39 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• So, how much of this hole the US is in is due to one man, and how much is due to a decade or bad decisions from the whole poilitical arena and us???
    Really . . . how many people out there bought homes and cars that they couldn't afford? How many maxed out their credit? Who started our war spending?
    And one man is supposed to fix that immediately?
    How many people actually read the full multi-page propositions before they vote?
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:45 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I know what it is! The military is using mind control on Obama as well! LOL
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 6:54 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• ImaginationMama... I want a budget, but I want it to be a sound budget. Think of America like a big family. So you have the income (taxes) and you have the bills (programs that are already active). Now, in a family, you balance the account so that you know how much is left out of your paycheck after you pay all the bills. You don't use the money for bills to go buy something...even if you really need it. It's just unwise. So if our country is a family, and you think of our economy like the family bank account..then our country right now is in debt, in foreclosure, and on the way to the casino.
    Does THAT sound like sane budgeting?
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 7:51 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• What's even funnier? Politifact the "fact checking site"~ Instead of calling it a lie, false they still give O the benefit of the doubt and called his statement, "Barely True".... LOL~ Anyone see the humor in that one?
    ___________________
    If you are familiar with that site a "Barely True" rating is the same as a false (usually with one small caveat). I wouldn't call "Barely True" the benefit of the doubt.

As for the op, I guess Obama is playing politics here.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 6:44 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• It is word-twistin, plain and simple.
    The policy is that checks would not go out. The, there are checks and balances after that. SSA could very well decide that they will not send checks out. It is up to them.
    First, though, they are stopped.
    He didn't lie.
    This seems like an offshoot of the OJ trial twisting.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:12 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I don't see it. Sorry.
    And, what, are you trying to say that people are actually "fearful" now because of the stupid hypothetical question and an answer that wasn't expanded upon?
    People are scared now?
    About what?
    Fear-mongering?
    What IS scary is how many people in our country only play teams and don't think for themselves. Now, that's scary.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:34 PM on Feb. 24, 2011