Do you think teachers deserve a raise?

I don't think all teachers do. I think each teacher should be evaluated based on how well their class is doing and grades and such, and then should be considered for a raise, and I believe most teachers are good enough to earn better than what the states pay them.

What are your thoughts?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 7:22 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Well considering that our teachers have been forced to take 11 furlow days for the school year, i think most are just happy to still have a job. I think they would be happy just loosing the furlow days...
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 7:23 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I agree with you. I believe it should be based on performance. I also believe the majority of teachers are vastly underpaid.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:23 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• What about the teachers who work with challenged youth. Intellectually, emotionally, criminally, behaviourally?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:24 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• As a teacher I have long supported the idea of "merit pay!" It's no different than the private sector where bonus based on personal performance are assessed during annual employee reviews! I always worked for companies that gave a range of bonus percentages--the better you performed (generating revenue for the company) the higher your bonus--worked like a charm!! Of course, SOME people were perfectly content getting their annual 2% for doing the least amount they could do to get by. I personally preferred workign towards and receiving the 40% bonus range!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:26 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Teachers in general should be paid more. My mom is a teacher and my siblings and I had a really difficult childhood. She was a single mom for most of it and we never had money for anything. She's paid fairly decent now, because she's been doing it for so long - raises & such - but it's still a pretty small salary, considering the shit teachers have to deal with sometimes.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 7:27 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Yes based on their performance.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 7:27 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

====

They should be evaluated too based on their criteria and expectations of the school.
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 7:28 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Deserve a raise. I haven't had a raise in 3 years. Actually, I had to give back 2% of my salary and take a step backwards which was another 5%. They took the increase for my masters, and now we are hearing scuttlebutt that there will be an additional 5% decrease in salary. I would like to just stop going backward. In 3 years, I have lost 7% in pay, $2,600 in earned bonuses due to meeting AYP for 2 years, and now another, possible, 5%. Forget the raise. Just freeze my salary for a while.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:28 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• What is the sense of not giving them a raise, it's the hardest job of all. As for social service work than that is the hardest,... but education is by far the most enduring and draining on mind, emotions, and nerve.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 7:28 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

***
    Merit pay should be tied to your job description and specific goals and expectations for the population one teaches. Obviously if someone works in an "alternative school" their pay should be higher and their expectations should be vastly different than those of the the teachers who teach typically developing 1st graders!!

In my school district the pay "steps" are ALL THE SAME--based on number of years you have worked in the district and your education level--whether you teach Kindergarten or advanced placement high school level courses! I never cared for the "one size fits all" approach. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:30 PM on Feb. 24, 2011