Wisconsin

We just had tons of protesters downtown. Whats you view all of this?

jenn4443

Asked by jenn4443 at 8:07 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• It's easy to tell others that they must take wage, benefit cuts, etc., especially when it doesn't affect you. I'd be asking if Gov. Walker, his staff and all the others working in the state gov. office how much of a cut THEY are taking in wages, benefits, etc. Probably not any...but if they expect those they work for to do it, then they should also.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 10:39 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• New Rasmussen pole.....67% of Americans disapprove of the dems. leaving the state.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:13 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I find the belief that collective bargining is a right offensive, it is a perk handed to workers by the unions. Teachers, fire, police deserve a decent wage, but if the money isn't there it just isn't there.
    People need to re-examine what is really important and how we as a collective define "rights" vs benifits and perks.
    I am back and forth over the WI boarder several times a week and work with many state, federal and academics so this ahs been a very heated topic, that is when they haven't been in Madison.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 10:06 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I am married to a union worker. But would never say I am in full support of the unions. I believe most special interest groups are a detrement to the political and social fiber of this country. None of us is indespensible or above the rules. Greed and fear, fueled by the unions, overtook common sense! How is it unfair to be asked to contribute such a small percentage to your health care and retirement? I believe I heard the average salary with benefits is $ 89,000.00. The governor was asking for less than 20% total contribution. The national average for health care contribution is 25%! Who is the governor supposed to "throw under the bus" to appease these tantrum throwing "professionals"?
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 11:27 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• The unions have overdone it. If there is no more money to pay for things, then everyone needs to make concessions. Private sector has stopped paying for all of the insurance, and so now the public sector must also. I don't feel bad for them. By the way, I used to be a teacher.
    AvonLadySandy

Answer by AvonLadySandy at 8:14 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• On the bill? Unions? Protesters? Walker? The missing Dems? You have to narrow it down there is a character limit and it's a big subject! :)
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 8:11 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• People can step out and make their views known. I'm just not sure this is the feeling of all of WI. I have friends in WI. They are in support of Gov. Brown. But, people can and should let their thoughts known so the politicians can represent them well. It's too bad half of the elected politicians have high-tailed it out of town. Maybe they aren't cut out for gov't work. It is more to being a representative than playing politics and getting paid.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:12 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• THIS>>> The unions have overdone it. If there is no more money to pay for things, then everyone needs to make concessions. Private sector has stopped paying for all of the insurance, and so now the public sector must also. I don't feel bad for them. By the way, I used to be a teacher.

Answer by AvonLadySandy 48 minutes ago
    69 Level 5

Except, I was a just a sub, lol...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 9:03 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I just picked a randon Wisconsin district site and pulled up  The salary schedule. 

The steps are years working and to the right is degree plus credits.

I just thought people should actually see what a teacher makes

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:17 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

>>>>>>
    This is not about money. It's about collective bargaining rights. The union is perfectly willing to negotiate a decrease in benefits with the gov. He will have nothing to do with it. Thereby revealing that the purpose of the law he is attempting, isn't money saving, but union busting. The teachers should not lose their collective bargaining ability
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:19 AM on Feb. 25, 2011