Language development

I know, I know, we're not supposed to "compare" our children to others, that each child develops at their own pace, but my son is 17 1/2 months old and only says the word "juice". He "baby talks" alot and really seems like he wants me to understand him, we hold lots of "conversations". He's extremly alert and very observant, but I am getting a bit worried. How many words do other kids this age say?

BusyMama619

Asked by BusyMama619 at 9:28 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Doctors like to see 10 to 20 words at 18 months. Some kids don't say that many, some say more.

Your little guy is probably fine. Listen for any patterns in his baby talk. If he makes the same sound for the same thing and you know what he means, then it's a word. For example: he might say "oon" or "dee" for balloon. If you know what he means when he makes that sound, then it's a word. It doesn't have to sound anything like the real word.

But be sure to bring it up at his 18 month checkup.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• my boys are 16months says 15+ words...lil boys are slower at talking..would talk to your pedi about it.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 9:30 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I'd talk to the pedi, I would think that is considered a mild delay. Better to ask and get help than wait and fall further behind.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 9:34 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• It just depends on the child. Which isn't very helpful I know. My son was 5mths and I KNEW something was wrong b/c he was not cooing. Yet I also knew that no doctor was going to take me seriously and give me the, "your a nervous first mom" speech. Groan. Actually, I have worked professionaly with hundreds of children and I know child development. But I had to wait until he was 10mths before we saw a speech therapist for an evaluation. It turns out that my son does have a speech delay, he just now is able to say Mama and he is two. He understands everything, can follow directions, is alert, and very social. He's just not able to articulate and say actual words. Go with your instinct. Insist and demand a speech evaluation. If you are wrong then you sleep better. If you are right you are able to get early intervention. The earlier the intervention the better success later.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I teach one year olds, you just described half of my class and their ages vary from 14 to 24 months. Like you said, they all develop at their own pace. Your son sounds like he is right on track. It is so hard not to compare, I know. If you are worried it wouldn't hurt to ask your pedi. Also if he is in daycare you can always ask his teacher what she thinks.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 9:49 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• We were worried about my son also. At 18 months old he said maybe a hanful of words. It wasn't until he was almost 2 1/2 that he had that language "explosion" his doctor kept telling me about. Now he won't stop, lol.
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 10:11 PM on Nov. 19, 2008