Do you have a disaster preparedness kit ready?

You know the old maxim - expect the best, prepare for the worst ~

tasches

Asked by tasches at 8:18 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Home & Garden

• We do ... have been for years. We have canned, dehydrated, and long term storage foods. We have more than a normal supply of camping gear, seeds (I plant an heirloom only garden), raw materials (wood, metal, etc. + tools), a genny, fuel, guns/ammo, short wave/ cb/walkie talkies, a network in the area and nationwide, a vehicle, etc. all geared towards whatever may happen. None of it is wasted ... we use/rotate constantly so things are all current. We also have a full farm of meat/dairy animals, a first aid setup that would even allow surgery (and nurses/docs in network), and a library of how-to and reference books. While we have no intention of ever 'bugging out', we do occasionally have evacs locally due to trains, hurricanes, mile earthquakes, forest fires, tornadoes, and severe storms regularly. Neither myself or DH play 'victim' well, so we try to make certain we won't have to.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:28 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Sort of...I have meds, first aid stuff, and a months worth of food in my house always....I have a well for water if I need it....I have guns and bullets, beyond that, I don' t know what I'd need...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 8:27 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• It depends on what sort of disasters (weather, earthquake, train derailment/spills, forest fires) you have in your area Anna. You look at those, look at what time frame they may shut down services, how many people you would be prepping for, and go from there. If evacuations are normal you should also have a 'go' bag for each person AND a place to meet/common phone # to check in that is out of the area. Rather than storing things somewhere (food/water/meds) you should use them each month and rotate them out with fresh supplies.

You might want to consider a hand pump for your well ~ if the power is out your well is out. Also, if evac is an issue a set of good county maps that show ALL of the secondary/dirt roads in your area. It's easier to get out fast if you aren't sitting in a traffic jam. Keep in mind any small children/elderly, and your pets as well. Kudos for even thinking about it at all ~ many don't!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:21 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• MREs (Meals, ready to eat) from any military base are great to have in a disaster preparedness kit. They're over $3.00 each, but two a day per person should work if you supplement them with other things.

We have a small pack in the back of each vehicle, as snow-ins aren't unheard of: Blankets, pillows, shovel, candles, matches, and MREs.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 10:26 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• No. But that is a really awesome idea. I need to have one ready, everyone should. Thanks!
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 10:14 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Sure do.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 10:17 AM on Feb. 25, 2011