What is a chiari malformation?

Someone mentioned their child has this.

angelmommy11

Asked by angelmommy11 at 8:25 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Health

• wow... finally someone with this like myself. I was diagnosed with a chiari malformation type I almost 4 years ago by accident. This is when the cellebrum (spelling?) which is at the base of the brain stem,is pushed downward into the spinal cord. This is normally diagnosed accidentally when getting a brain MRI. It can go undiagnosed w/o symptoms or can cause an array of symptoms from headaches in back of the head, neck area to paralyzes. I was told by a specialist that I need to get a repeat every year to make sure the size hasn't increase which would mean its being pushed down out of the actual scull more. My symptoms were not life threatening enough for the surgery to correct. The surgery is very ify and could actually make things worse. Go see a neurologist preferably a specialist that deals with Chiari malformation. Good luck. FYI...The actual name is Arnold Chiari Malformation either type I or II.

cristypat

Answer by cristypat at 8:49 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• No clue but this site has always been helpful when I need to look something up  http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/chiari/detail_chiari.htm

Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:45 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Thanks for the answers and I'm sorry cristypat is dealing with that! It sounds scary, but I am glad at least for you it isn't life threatening.
    angelmommy11

Comment by angelmommy11 (original poster) at 9:21 PM on Feb. 24, 2011