How? adult content

I was watching a show about a woman that was pregnant with her second child and was HIV positive. Her husband and father of both kids is not infected. How? Do ppl with this virus take meds that help them avoid passing it? I know that they take meds while pregnant so that they wont pass it. Is it the same for sexual partners? TIA!!

PS It was not a planned pregnancy so invitro and such was not the case

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 8:27 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Health

• I'm not sure of the details but I have heard that its harder for a woman to pass HIV to a man. Not sure of the accuracy of this, just something I heard somewhere.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 8:30 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I don't know anything about it, but its interesting. If I had HIV and it was possible to pass it to the baby I would choose not to have children. It's amazing the things medicine can accomplish, so maybe they can control the transfer of HIV? That'd be cool!
    angelmommy11

Answer by angelmommy11 at 8:34 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Yes angel its incredible what med can do now! I was amazed watching this show and seeing how much can be done. Neither one of her children contracted the virus. It still can happen but is a lot less likely from what it used to be!
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 8:39 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• HIV transmission does not occur everytime someone has sexual intercourse with an HIV+ person. It could transmit on the first time (which is why condoms are always important) but it doesn't always. There are MANY factors that come into play to affect transmission.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 8:39 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• It could transmit on the first time

Really? Im sure you know whatyou mean but its still had to comprehend. How does it work that way? How does that persons body know the diff bn the first and the second time? Thanks!
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 8:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Don't know I went on a HIV website. I was looking at a movie where this guy was dating a woman that was postive. They always had protected sex but one time the condom broke. He got tested and he was still negative. I am at awe of it too. There is one mom on here that is HIV postive I am trying to remember her name. I am quite sure she can educate you on some things.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 8:46 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Thanks babygirl!
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 8:47 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• There is a group on here called Moms with HIV/ AIDS
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 8:48 PM on Feb. 24, 2011