Discipline and a 16 month old.

How would you suggest disciplining a 16 month old when they hit or choose to not listen? I refuse to lay a hand on my child so spanking is absolutely out of the question. I'd like to hear things that have worked for you such as time outs and such. Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• u cant really discipline a 16 month old they r still to little to really understand but u could try holding his/her hands when they hit (softly ) and tell them Thats not nice dont hit . And as for listing thats a hard one if they are grabing/playing something there not spose to either take it and tell ur baby thats not for play and remove it or remove them drom the area they arent spose to be at
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 8:38 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• well my mom used a time out area for my lil sister . your child is one so he/she would be put in there for 1 min the time dose not start untill they stop crying and every time they get up or start throwing a fit the time starts over at this age i would say a mat or chair would work.. maybe even the couch so you can watch them. they probably wont under stand at fist but after doing it a few times they will get the idea.. remember after the time out is done to give them a hug and say you love them. as they get older the time gose up for every year they are old and and start having them tell you what they did wrong and that they are sorry
    blinkys11

Answer by blinkys11 at 8:40 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Cherrie is right on . . . .when she hits, calmly pick her up, move her to another part of the room. Say, "gentle only" and show her what gentle is . . .
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I beg to differ with the first poster. My 18 month old knows what the word no means and has since she's been old enough to be told no (around 10 months) I put my daughter in time out for about a minute. if she continues the she just has to sit there more often. no biggy. try saying "no we dont do that because..., but we can do this because..." a child will know whats right and wrong if you teach them whats right and wrong. good luck
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:45 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• be very patient and gentle as this age will learn from your own nerves, anger or actions very much liek a sponge...simply be firm and move them to another area, use humor, distract with a toy. Begin to do another interestign activity that will interest them. Shake head and say thats not nice or that makes mommy sad. they WANT to fit in and have approval, so say thats not nice BUT look how nice you did (such and such a thing). they are only small so dont have much logic yet and sometimes that is a joy...
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 8:47 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I'm one to believe a child under 2 does not benefit from time-out. They're too young to have the attention span required for it. By the time you're done putting a 1 year old in time out for 1 minute they've done forgotten what they were put there for in the first place. It also adds more stress to mom and baby. Remember at 16 months developmentally you're child is still considered an infant/baby. Maybe not by you and others but their brain is not yet at the same level as a 24 month old child, the beginning age of a toddler. Positive reinforcement and redirecting will get you the desire outcomes you want at this age. And patience. There is also a distinct difference between discipline and punishment. Discipline instills morals, values, and respect in a child. Teaches them right from wrong. Punishment (time-out) is a consequence to an action. A 16 month old does not understand cause and effect (punishment) they need discipline.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:50 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• When my children hit I grab their hand firmly (but not to hurt them), look them in the eye, and with authority say "We do not hit!" If they hit again then I give them the same punishment that I do for most of their "crimes". Which is a time out. One minute for every year they are, so two for my oldest and one for my middle child. With my oldest I've resorted to taking his favorite toys and TV shows away. This has only been recently, but he definately felt that punishment when his prized posessions (His Thomas and Friends Trains) were taken away.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:20 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• time out's taking favorite toys, sitting on the couch and having to be still, we also had a naughty chair.
    MomaWeeks

Answer by MomaWeeks at 11:01 PM on Feb. 24, 2011