What are your thoughts on permanent birth control options?

Hi, my husband and I have three healthy, wonderful children and are looking into permanent birth control options. We've decided that if we want more kids down the road, we'll adopt. If you and your significant other have made this choice, which option did you choose and how did it work out for you (any negative side effects)? Any thoughts on Essure? Thanks for your help!

gratefulmom913

Asked by gratefulmom913 at 9:07 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Health

• From what I've read on here from all the pregnant ladies who thought they had permanent BC - it's not too reliable.
    Anonymous

• We decided that hubby is getting a vasectomy.  I am pregnant with our 4th which will make 2 boys and 2 girls.  We aren't rich and we aren't poor, somewhere inbetween.  We'll do pretty well with 4, any more than that and it will put a strain.  I went through the pregnancies and deliveries so Hubs took it upon himself to get the info and decided to have it done.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:09 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I had my tubes tied, burned and clipped. That worked for me

Answer by admckenzie at 9:09 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I had my tubes tied with my second c-section. Had she been a VBAC DH would have been snipped. It is less invasive for him to have a vasectomy then for me to have any kind of surgery to tie, cut, burn or block my tubes. It's out patient vs. abdominal surgery.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:09 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• My hubby is going to get a vasectomy. I dont want to get anything done to me. So he agreed to get it done and its only a 15 min. process.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 9:10 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• @MrsHouston, vasectomies are not 100%. My brother had one and his wife was pg. about 2yrs. later. After she gave birth to my nephew she had her tubes tied, burned, clipped, lol Myself, I had a hysterectomy, not by choice, for medical reasons.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 9:14 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• My dh had a vasectomy many yrs ago. (Our dd will be 17 in April, and he had the surgery shortly after she was born, so...)

It was pretty straightforward for us - he went in, the surgery was done as outpatient, he spent a few days on the couch with a bag of frozen peas on his groin, then he was fine. It hasn't had any adverse affect on our sex life, or on his pleasure in sex. It has also been a very effective form of birth control for us all these yrs (and I got pg VERY easily before this - we have 2 kids, 15 mos apart, and we were using birth control both times I got pg, and we were using it accurately, as confirmed by my Dr when we talked to him about it...)

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:16 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I had Essure done. I LOVE it! It is the only sterilization procedure to have zero pregnancies during clinical trials.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:16 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I'm getting my tubes tied in June after our third is born. The doctor said if I deliver vaginally then I have to wait two weeks after I have her to get them tied but he can do it laparoscopically so the recovery will be two days tops. GL
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 9:17 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Oh - something to consider, not all vasectomies are created equal, lol. There are various ways they're done, and some are more effective than others. Here's a link that talks about the different methods. If you go with this, I would talk to the Dr about what method (or combo of methods) he/she will use...

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/types-of-vasectomy.html

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:19 PM on Feb. 24, 2011