Do you tip for take out?

I understand tipping a server who waits on you during your meal, but why would I need to tip someone who simply hands me my food in a plastic bag? What kind of take out deserves a tip?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Food & Drink

• No, I wouldn't tip for take out.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:10 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I love this question. I've asked it before because I never know. I don't think you should have to tip if you get take out but i always end up throwing a buck their way if its a place i get take out from regularly.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 9:13 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• NOPE
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:16 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I agree with 5babybees. Im a waitress and do both wait tables and do takeout. Take out doesnt "deserve" a tip but its def apprecitated. Taking the order, preparing and bagging is extra work for a low hourly wage. Its all up to the person. I throw a dollar or 2 in also.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:17 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I add a dollar or so. I don't do the 15-20% I would if we sat down.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:26 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I don't tip! and I only tip 10% at sit down meals too.
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 9:31 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• When we order take away, there's an extra charge added on for the plastic containers, etc. No tipping on take away in this case--they're already getting the extra...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 10:15 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Nope, if I'm going to pick it up then why would I tip them for doing their job of preparing the food? Now, if we are eating in, we tip based on service.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:59 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• i always tip atleast a couple of dollars-
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 11:36 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• As a former server, at a normal sit down type of restaurant, yes, tip. The waitress often has to take the time away from her tables to make sure that the order is correct, add any condiments, etc. and prepare the bill and sometimes, hand it to you and cash you out. Maybe a buck or two like a pizza delivery person. However, I do not tip at a fast food style place.
    Philly247

Answer by Philly247 at 9:33 AM on Feb. 25, 2011