How do I get over these insecurities

I JUST graduated from Empire Beauty School on Monday and need to start looking for a job. I got awesome remarks from my teachers, clients begging me to let the receptionist at Empire know when I am at so they can come to me when I get my license, I've provided services to the big guys from the home office and did a remarkable job... but.... I am so afraid of getting into a salon and being nervous. I did cosmetology in vo tech years ago but never finshed my hours, continued to practice my skill on friends and family for 7 years before returning to school..... I am just so nervous, what if my resume doesnt jump off the page, what if I dont get paid what I am worth, what if i screw up..... :(

LuvsDanika

Asked by LuvsDanika at 9:10 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• ~*Hugs*~... take a deep breath, relax, and let the perfect position jump at you during the entire process. Don’t stop look of course, and while on the phone, place a smile on your face… it’ll come through the other side (even if faked smile) in your voice (little trick I picked up many years ago)...

Here are some happy thoughts your way... in hopes you land your DREAM JOB!!!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 9:14 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• you'll get paid what you're worth..at the start. believe me, your real education hasn't even begun until you are behind the chair in a salon. best advice: remember that everyone started out at the same place you will. everyone.
    what makes or breaks your career is what YOU put into it, physically and mentally. continue the education with classes, demonstrations, etc...you always have more to learn about hair/business principals/retention, etc.

and yes, you will screw up. everyone does. just try to learn from your mistakes. don't walk in a salon thinking you are the crap..that's the quickest way to find out who actually is. educate, work it, appreciate it. GL!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:21 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I think everybody feels like that when the graduate. If you do the best you can and follow your instincts you'll do fine. I agree with dullscissors...you'll make mistakes but thats just part of becoming a professional.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:59 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• dont' worry hun. Most salons have training programs in place, so you'll most likely start the first two weeks off doing training so the salon KNOWS your full potential. Don't be afraid to look for a job as an assistant either. You thus work in the shadow of a stylist and learn all they know. Most salons will encourage you to take advanced courses when they are offered as well.
    It's nerve wrecking starting any new job, but in this business there are soo many people willing to help you and offer advice that you'll be fine.
    Know that at first you may not get paid for what you are worth because a salon isn't exactly sure what you are worth, so be upfront with any questions, and do what you know you love and are good at and you'll shine, thus increasing your pay scale.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:25 AM on Feb. 25, 2011