HELP!!!!!!! MY SON KEEP GAGGING HIMSELF WHAT DO I DO?

charonnichole

Asked by charonnichole at 9:15 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 16 month old finds it fascinating, lol.  Just to be safe, check his throat and make sure there isn't anything going on.  Maybe a sore throat?  Say "no" in a firm voice, that stopped my 16 month old from doing that, for the most part.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:18 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Just try to distract him. Its def normal. My dd did and both of my nephews too. When they realize that they can do it then they go to town lol. Its kinda scary but funny too. Def normal
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:19 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• It depends on if he's doing it purposely or if he's doing it unintentionally. If he's not doing it on purpose then you need to find out why and get it resolved. That would be done by talking with his doctor. If he does it on purpose then it's important not to exaggerate the situation. He's most likely doing it to get your attention and get a specific reaction. The same as a child laughing when they're being punished or crying when they don't get their way. When he does it you need to explain to him how that could hurt him and it's not good to do it. Don't get all upset, don't make a huge deal out of it. That's what he'd be aiming for if it was on purpose. Just keep reiderating that it's not good to do and he could hurt himself.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:19 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE QUICK ANSWERS!I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO -HE HAS BEEN DOING THIS FOR A WHILE NOW
    charonnichole

Comment by charonnichole (original poster) at 9:26 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Why was MrsHouston voted down???? Her answer was good!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:35 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Additional answers here.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:38 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Why was MrsHouston voted down????

She has a vote down stalker, everything she writes gets voted down.

I agree with everyone else, completely normal. When he does it just nonchalantly say something like that's ucky no, or please stop. And then move on. Try to curve the behavior while not reinforcing it with attention. And pay attention, see if he's doing it at specific times, IE right before nap, after dinner, when he doesn't get his way, when watching tv, etc. Sometimes it's a sign they're tired, hungry, bored, etc. If you can figure out WHY he's doing the behavior it's easier to avoid the situation that causes it.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:42 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I have no clue but my daughter is 10months and she does it to and im like wtf stop it.....i cant stand it at all it freaks me out
    Ashley2810

Answer by Ashley2810 at 11:57 PM on Feb. 24, 2011