Brainwashing

How is it that some unbelievers can call religious people brainwashed when religion is a freedom whereas brainwashing if forced? Do you think in actuality some unbelievers are tryng to brainswash believers by forcing them to renounce their beliefs?

ptomom678

Asked by ptomom678 at 9:18 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Religious Debate

• The thing about religion is that there are so many and all of them say the rest are wrong that is the case with the people who does not believe, at some point they will try an argument based on their non beliefs to make someone else say Im wrong you are right.
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 9:23 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I do know the dictionary definition of brainwashing and it most definitely fits in many instances.  The problem is that the brainwashed can't see that they're brainwashed so of course they deny it!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:11 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• The people who drank poisoned kool-aid at Jonestown were people that had walked into the People's Temple under their own power. It doesn't make them any less brainwashed or any less controlled because they chose to join that group and chose to die in the jungles of Guyana. David Koresh didn't kidnap anyone. His followers came, blindly believed everything he said, and died with him quite willingly in Waco, Tx., going up in smoke and flames. It doesn't mean that they were any less brainwashed because they chose their fate. And the innocents in that Jesus Camp video were handed over by their parents. It wasn't a choice and yes, there was fear, terror, hopelessness,and physical and mental exhaustion in their faces. They were sobbing without being comforted. They were being brainwashed. And they were all alone!!!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:53 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• its brain washing when you tell kids that you are at war and that non believers are not on your side. its like they are trying to make their own army of "christian soldiers"
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:22 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Posting a question regarding that particular video was in no way, shape, or form, forcing you to renounce your beliefs. To say so is just silly. What those people are doing to those innocent children is brainwashing, and saying so isn't an attack on Christianity or any other belief system.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 10:19 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Wait... you feel that because someone disagrees with your beliefs, that you are being forced to renounce them. That by seeing a different point of view you are being brainwashed. That you're being forced to do both. OK- you just proved our point about brainwashing. Thanks.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:29 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I'm sorry, but there are certain religious groups who do, in fact, use brainwashing as a way to gain followers (or warriors). They usually prey on the ignorant, the under-educated, those with low self-esteem, those who are naive. My uncle, my sister-in-law, and a few other people I've known in my lifetime have succumbed to the tactics of these religious "warriors". These religious freaks convince poor souls that Hell is their only option unless they follow these "warriors", and that everyone who does not believe as they do will burn in Hell. It's sad, really and most of those who are brainwashed don't even realize it. Not even after they've lost all their family because of their fanatic behavior. It's not just Christians who do this, btw. There are fanatics in other religions as well.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:49 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• And no, I've never heard of non-Christians trying to brainwash Christians into renouncing their beliefs. Most people "renounce" their beliefs on their own, after they've realized they didn't really believe in God in the first place, that they were just doing as they were told when they followed Christianity.

I missed some sort of drama I guess, but still...
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:53 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• When a parent makes a child go to the Jesus Camp, YES it IS brainwashing. No one should EVER be intimidated, forced or scared into believing ANYTHING. That is NOT love and it is NOT Grace.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:48 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• yes, my life is lacking god..so i like to pull up videos of little chilren being bullied and forced into loving god...it makes up for everything that goes wrong in my days. what a relief.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:44 PM on Feb. 24, 2011