How do I get him to go to sleep?

My son is almost two and he wakes up at seven in the morning, has stopped taking naps and doesn't have bedtime until nine. Yet he doesn't sleep! And he runs ALL DAY! But he's not crying or bouncing around, he just lays there and talks to his sock puppy, Nong-nong until anywhere from ten to twelve o-clock. If I take it away, he cries and Nong-nong is his best friend. :( But I don't feel like I can yell at him either because he's not making a fuss or disturbing anyone. But then, he always wakes up at seven on his own no matter what and he's in a bad mood and extremely whiney. He doesn't actually talk in words yet (just babbles a lot) so idk if he'll understand when I tell him "No more talking. It's bed time." Any suggestions?

Nong-nong

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is going to sound funny, but try putting him to bed earlier. Kids will wake-up at the same time, no matter what you do, but they often will sleep longer and better when they get to bed earlier. He'll have a tough time the first few nights, but he'll adjust, and may even benefit.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 9:45 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• My daughter is exactly this way. Sounds totally normal to me.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 9:46 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• my dd "reads" her books in bed til she falls asleep. sounds normal to me. good luck
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 9:58 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• start the wind-down earlier. children this age should be getting like 12 hrs of sleep a day, including naps. since he won't take naps, i suggest something like this:

5:00pm eat dinner
    5:30pm-6:00pm color, read (fill in actvity here)
    6:00pm-6:30pm bath
    6:30ish-7:00pm laying in bed, minimal lighting, reading to him or some kind of "quiet" activity
    7:00pm lights out

this is the schedule i follow for my kids. they are ages 4, 2 and 7months

good luck!
    alleaeon

Answer by alleaeon at 11:17 PM on Feb. 24, 2011