• In the Spotlight:

What are gripe water drops exactly and are they safe to use?

Catherine0929

Asked by Catherine0929 at 9:39 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I fmy memeory serves me correctly, there was a recent recall of gripe water. I hear good things about it, but as an herbal, it is not as well regulated and tested for safety . . .so, there is always a little risk.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 9:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Colic Calm IS regualted by the FDA. It is the only one I'm aware of. Some Gripe Waters claim to help with everything from teething to colic.. The only thing I found it helped with was tummy trouble and gas.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:48 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• chamomile, fennel and ginger. All safe for babies! Those herbs are very calming and help relieve tummy pressure due to gas pain. You can use it as needed! It worked well for my son. Before i offered any medication I tried massaging the belly in a clockwork motion or I laid him tummy down on my knees and patted the back.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:07 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Gripe water wan NEVER recalled, the teething tablets were! Gripe water is all natural, it is peferctly safe and drug free. My pedi said it cant be overdosed either.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 8:06 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My pedi said no to gripe water. I'm using gas drops...
    Catherine0929

Comment by Catherine0929 (original poster) at 2:06 PM on Feb. 28, 2011