Slient reflux? HELP PLEASE

Any of your kids ever had this? How did you know they had it and what tdid the Doctor do to help? My LC thinks that our DS has it :/ Poor boy :(

nat1387

Asked by nat1387 at 10:07 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My oldest had silent reflux as a baby. He never threw up ever, but he would scream in pain literally all day long. We tried Zantac and it didn't help. We then put him on Prevacid and Reglan and he was like a different child! So happy, calm, no more crying. My youngest had full on throw up reflux and we treated it the same.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:10 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• My oldest and youngest had reflux. Prevacid wasn't available when my oldest had it, it worked so much better than Zantac, which is extremely weight dependent and tastes awful.

Are you BF or FF? It doesn't really make a different which way you feed, but both of my boys were dairy intolerant. As a BF mom I had to take all dairy out of my diet, which was a giant pain. DS1 went onto soy around 6 months because it was just easier (and I had no support from anyone.) The prevacid and no dairy was a life saver for my youngest. Before them his breath smelled like stomach acid.

If you feel that your ped isn't taking you seriously, ask for a referral to a pediatric gastro-enterologist.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:19 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I would agree with the previous response... Has the pediatrician put him on any meds (with my daughter it was tagamet)? This can make a world of difference...I also dealt with the screaming and crying and no naps, etc. Once she was on meds, she was no longer being burned and turned into a totally different child. For some kids it takes years to grow out of it, and once in a while it requires surgery. Mine had a severe case. After testing, they said it would eventually heal...she was four when we could stop meds and get her out of her carseat for sleeping... Good Luck!
    Arisa

Answer by Arisa at 10:33 PM on Feb. 24, 2011