Does anyone else hate...

..tornado warnings/sirens in the middle of the night? It seems like that is the ONLY time they go off here. (didn't know what category this should be in)

LeslieNBreaux

Asked by LeslieNBreaux at 10:48 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Yah, there is nothing worse than not only going to bed with that worry (what if I don't hear it?) or waking up to that excitement half asleep, knowing you'll have to scare the crap out of your half asleep children.
    Tornado Alley... Why do I love it here so much?? *sigh*
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 10:51 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I'm not so fond of coyotes howling in my yard at 3am either.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:02 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• When our weather gets to that point, I don't go to bed at all...
    Bc my Dh is on the fire dept here in town, they/we get a weather
    warning thru the pagers prior too... he leaves and I will not go to
    bed.. I put our emergency backpack together and prep furbabies
    just in case... tho I love storms, your nerves are on edge when it comes
    to tornado warnings...
    My biggest fears with that kind of weather is if it goes off and the children are
    still in school... bc we lock down you feel powerless to get your child/ren even tho
    they are pretty safe in a school..
    I am just thankful that our little rural area of MI don't get as many as I have seen in other
    places....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:04 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I live in FL so we don't get them as often as other places, but being as I've never been through one, They scare me. I'm always afraid we might and I won't hear it at all or soon enough to get to my daughter. I usually stay up until the warning time is over. At least with Hurricanes there is a good warning time. Though I hate them as well. I'd so rather move back up north and deal with blizzards(dunno why).
    IrishPennMom

Answer by IrishPennMom at 11:07 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I dealt with hurricanes living in south Louisiana. They are no picnic. I'be been in Tennessee a year now. I can't sleep during a storm. They usually give you enough warning with a hurricane so you can get out. Tornadoes are unpredictable. I don't like having enough time to prepare. I, too, am also afraid of sleeping through the warnings and not getting my son in time. The tornado siren went off once tonight (so far). The rain and wind are so loud I can't hear myself think, and now the lights are flickering. Ugh.
    LeslieNBreaux

Comment by LeslieNBreaux (original poster) at 11:18 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• IrishPennMom... They're scary but amazing at the same time.

I took this picture in May '03. That's my dad smoking his pipe in the front yard, watching this F3 that was about 5 miles away. I've always lived in the sticks, so this bad boy didn't cause much damage, and no one was reported injured. Of course, now that I have kiddies, I wouldn't be standing outside like a nitwit taking pictures. Well... At least until they're grown. LOL

SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 11:20 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• P.S.
    I'm from Kansas, BTW.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 11:23 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Oh wow. Thats a cool pic. I have always found tornadoes fascinating, but I would be the sissy going in the opposite direction lol

LeslieNBreaux

Comment by LeslieNBreaux (original poster) at 11:24 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• @SpaceToast... I have several pics as well bk in 03-04 we had some wild weather come thru...
    Dh and his dept were out on weather watch and the funnel that I took pics of was the one they
    were watching going over them...
    We even had one come down main street (never touched down until just outside of town) but I stood
    on my porch (I live on Main street) and was like 'Damn"....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:26 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• In our town the tornado siren is also used to call the firemen back to the station .. so it goes off throughout the day and night ...
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:49 PM on Feb. 24, 2011