Apparently the line between disapline and bullying is getting thinner!

http://www.parentdish.com/2011/02/24/bullying-parents/?icid=maing%7Cmain5%7Cdl4%7Csec1_lnk2%7C46442

I know everyone parents different, but I also feel that these days children have to be wrapped in bubble wrap and talked to with words of flowers and rainbows or they will be "screwed up" and "damaged".

I was beat with a belt and swallowed my fair share of dawn dish soap and I did not turn out violent or damaged. My teachers graded my papers with bright red pen - the kids sitting beside me could even see my high or low score. I play in sports where I lost the majority of the time. I have respect for my parents and have a heathly competitive side. I am not dangerous to my kids and had/have healthy relationships.

I feel all this walking on eggshells is getting rediculous!!! We are going to raise kids that can't take embarassment, can't take responsibility, have no respect, can't take a loss, and probably add some spoiled brat to that! Do I do anything outragous like the mom's in the article? No, but I'm started to get scared that raising my voice to my 2 year old is going to put me in jail 5 years down the road!

My rant is done - talk amongst yourselves. :)

sunshine58103

Asked by sunshine58103 at 10:54 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• clappingAMEN!!!!!!!!!

leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 10:57 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I totally agree with you. The walking on eggshells is ridiculous. You can tell your kids no and let them experience life good or bad (you know the regular stuff). It's creating generations of whining, snively, adult brats who have to live in therapy because they were never taught that sometimes you lose.  Sometimes you don't get first place.  Sometimes life isn't fair the way we want it to be.  I don't walk on eggshells nor am I a bully but my kids don't collapse at every little bump in the road.  I just want to tell people how F'ing stupid they sound trying to sell that whole "never say no" crap.  I love my kids to pieces and love to tell them I'm proud of them, love them, and tell them I expect them to do better at times. 

RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 11:02 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• It makes since - I can see being pissed about the bath tub and if the children are old enough (which seems to be) they should have known to stop the first time something was damaged than yes I would take their piggy bank money and then make them work it off in chores. To humiliate them and take the punish that far well is to far to me. My brother and his friend were throwing rocks across a street (not busy) well a car did come and his friend dared my brother to try to throw one over it as it drove passed. Needless to say he busted the windshield. My brother had to pay for the windshield. It took a lot of work but never did my mom need to put him on a corner with a sign or humiliate him in anyway. If "this is the only way you can get through to them." Well I agree that maybe a parenting class would be beneficial.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 11:02 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I should probably add that all the soap I swallowed as a child never helped my potty mouth. I still talk like a sailor. But I'm thankful that it was the 80s and I didn't get taken away from my mom for child abuse.
    sunshine58103

Comment by sunshine58103 (original poster) at 11:08 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• That mom was basically cyberbullying her own kids, and I agree with the article, if you saw damage to the bath tub, take those toys away fro bath time and give them plastic ones. This is an extreme case though. But I do believe people are raising generations of whiners. Op is right, they cant put your grade on a paper so others cant see it. I know when I was in school that made me want to do better not whine about it. Its become ok not to descipline your child because your child says theyll call CPS on you (im talking teens and preteens). Its become ok to give them everything that they want just because if you dont theyll rebel. Parents have become so afraid of their children that its getting insane. I know if I had that attitude look ( like I see every teenager now ) in a public place or gave my mom a tone, my mom would smack it off my face no matter where we were. cont
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 11:12 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• cont......... I respected my parents and still do till this day and dont blame them for anything in my childhood. I turned out well, I didnt end up on drugs or in prison. I have a healthy relationship with everyone I know. I love my parents very much for keeping me in check.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 11:14 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I'd like to note...I didn't read the article I just went with the whole concept.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 11:14 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• didn't read the article but i totally agree with you!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:30 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• bowing down

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:34 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I don't agree with spanking or using vinager/soap to "wash out their mouth" ... However, I do agree that parents these days are giving up on their children by treating them all with protective gloves. It's the same as sticking a flower in a gun.. Hugs not war, right? I don't agree. Sometimes you need to stand up and fight in order for things to be done right. I don't agree with letting children get away with things they've done wrong, with talking down to children, or treating them as if they've tried their best when they haven't. I think children should be treated with respect and treated as intelligent people. As well as shown when they've done something wrong and the consequences that follow. Too many children these days are going to be mislead because their parents refuse to parent.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:48 PM on Feb. 24, 2011