How can I tell if a kitten is spayed or not?

I took in a friends kitten a few months back with the agreement that she would get her fixed first. When I took the cat, my friend asured(sp?) me that the kitten was spayed. I have always had a few doubts that she is fixed but I didnt put much thought into it until she started doing her business outside of the litterbox as well as having no problem with using her box. Also, arnt spayed cats supposed to have a scar on their tummies for a long time(or forever) after the surgery? This cat doesnt have a scar.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Pets

• The cat shelter i volunteer for ... we dont take in owner relinquishment , we only take in strays and ferals. And the only sure way we can tell if any of the females are spayed (no owners no proof of being spayed) is if we shave them were the scare should be. ASk her for proof..and if she says she doesnt have to paperwork ask her for the vet name. You can call them and ask them. The office will have the file if she was spayed.
    itsokmomshere

Answer by itsokmomshere at 12:32 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Yep. If you move her fur out of the way, you should see/feel a scar. If the kitty is going outside her litter box, she may have a UTI. Or, she's very picky about how clean her box is. I had a cat that I had to clean it almost every time she went, because she was so picky. If not, she would go in the tub, or in a pile of clothes. Female cats , for the most part, don't pee because they're not fixed. But when they do go into heat, its the most annoying sound ever!
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 9:59 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• a kitten has to be at least 6 months old to be spayed.was this kitten shaved on its belly or shorter hair growing back in when u got her back if so she was.also when u get a cat fixed u get papers saying so ask for them.when my cat was spayed it took 2 months for the hair to grow back and she still meows like she is in heat i can't find a scar.also if u take her to the vet they maybe able to tell u.
    momangel05

Answer by momangel05 at 10:30 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• my4lads :She does the same thing in my tub! She started that this week or last. She has yet to make any "in heat" noises. I am going to try to find the money to taker her to a vet. I had a cat that had a UTI and if we didnt get him to the vet when we did, he would have died.

momangel05: I have had her for a few months now. she has a lot more belly fur now than when I got her so she maybe fixed. A cat can get fixed at 2 or 3 months. Thats what the vet told me when my other cat got nuetured. He was a lil younger than 6 months. I am going to ask my friend for proof. I bet a million dollars, she doesnt have the papers. I dont remember the cat having a scar when I got her and she was supposed to be fixed about a week or two before I got her. So something doesnt add up right. I am just going to have to keep my eye on her and go from there.
    Anonymous

• The kitten's belly should be shaved. I don't know how long ago she says she got it spayed, but they have to be 6 months old at least to have it done. Sounds like she may have issues with being in a new place. Thats usually the cause of potty accidents. You'll know for sure if she's in heat. She'll start howling to be let out.
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 11:31 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• She has been in the "new place" for months and adjusted easily. It only took a week for her and my male cat to cuddle and groom each other(he's fixed. Both indoor kitties). She has yet to make any howling noise or beg to be let out. She'll try to run outside sometimes but so the the other cat. It must be an indoor kitty thing.
    Anonymous

• I received to kittens, females, who I was told BOTH were spayed. My neighbor took the one under the promise to take care of her. She started meowing and they tossed her out. I found her a few weeks later pregnant. She is now spayed and a companion for an older woman. I find it hard to trust when people say things regarding animals now. They will say anything to get rid of them. Just look for the scar and if she doesn't have one, go to the vet with her...see if he can tell or if he can do it...
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:05 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Ask her for the paperwork. You should have all of her medical paperwork anyway, in case you ever want to board her for any reason. Plus, in order for her to get fixed they usually have to have some shots to stay at the vet shelter overnight. You can use that as your "angle." LOL . . good luck!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:19 AM on Nov. 24, 2008