??For Mom's who have given natural birth with no meds.

I got an epi with my son.....tried and tried to not get it but eventually gave in and i'm now 35 weeks pregnant and will not be doing another epi so my question is what is the best advice you can give when doing it all natural?

lovelyheaven271

Asked by lovelyheaven271 at 11:00 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Labor AT HOME. Keep active, keep distracted, take showers, soak in a tub. Stay hydrated, eat when you're hungry, and stay relaxed.

Probably the BEST piece of advice anyone ever gave me, was not to have people around who you don't feel completely 110% comfortable with- even if they want to be there. They only add stress to your labor and birth, which makes things harder on you.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:05 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Good girl!

It makes labor so much easier when you can just relax. If you're stressed, tense, or have too many people around you feel pain so much more intensely.
    You might also want to have a doula, or a close female friend who has given birth unmedicated before- She'll be able to support you in ways that your husband simply can not. And I was serious about laboring at home, if you're within a 45 minute drive of the birth center/hospital (assuming you're not planning a home birth) then you should just wait until you feel the urge to go. Your body will tell you when it is time.
    If you're in your home environment you're less likely to contract infections (you are already immune to the bacteria in your home), and have the freedom to simply do what you feel you need to without interference.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:12 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• My trick to giving birth naturally has been to wait it out at home until I absolutely can't stand it anymore.  By that time, it's too late for pain meds and therefore is no longer an option.  I'm sorry.  I don't have any neat tricks that keep the pain down.  I was one of those scream and pull my hair and yell at the Midwife to shutup kinda laboring women, lol.  I was most comfortable at home.  And I agree with it just being you and him.  Having people there that you don't really want there will totally throw you off.  Do you have a blanket or anything that you like to hold?  Something comforting?

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:13 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I sang all the way through, which sucked for everyone around me because a chicken sings better than me lol but it made things easier for me :)
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 11:19 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Obby is so right.  SERIOUSLY, this is no joke, with my last child, I felt absolutely no pain until I reached the birth center.  When I got there I felt scared and a little freaked and it totally ruined it for me.  If I knew how to do the umbillical cord I would totally have a home birth.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:14 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Oh and when I got to the birth center, I had already dilated to 7.  No pain. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:15 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Make sure tht u have the ppl u want in the room with u not anyone annoying or whos gonna sit there and keep telling u to breathe cuz u already know u have to for me it was just closing my eyes and breathing i got an epi but mine didnt work at all nso i had my daughter natural for me i didnt want anyone touching me i was in my own world lol id rub my belly during a contraction and tht helped me alot music didnt help at all and the room was really dim so its really whatever brings u peace and nothing stressful
    Ashley2810

Answer by Ashley2810 at 11:30 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I had all mine naturally, no meds whatsoever. My focus was on progressive relaxation. I just started with my toes, moved to my feet, ankles, etc...on up through all the parts of my body up the top of my head - concentrated on relaxing every single muscle in every part of my body. Not only did it keep my mind occupied, but it also helped to relax my body so it could concentrate on pushing out the baby.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I would be careful with that one also if you don't plan on having your baby at home.  I stayed at home with my 1st born until my water broke.  I thought that was the signal it was time to go.  Lucky for me it was because he was born 15 minutes later, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:29 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• LOVE the above comments and I agree!
    EAT, DRINK, store your energy. ALSO...
    IF at all possible (if you are home) invest in a birth pool/ tub...and have a test run with it beforehand. I call water "natures epidural" because of the amazing powers of warm water to take the pain away.
    Also...and if you are home this will be a lot easier....SING. I don't care if you can sing....or you think you sound aweful...I'm talking LOW, OM TONES. There are many reasons to do this...but the most obvious is this:
    high pitches (scream, screech ...as women do on TV when in labor) CLOSE you up and tense your body.
    LOW tones and deep deep sounds resonate LOWER...and guess where the baby needs to come out? ;)
    This was a BIG deal for me...and I found that loud, low OM tones actually released almost ALL the pain in a contraction. For real.
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 11:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2011