I work with kids and just had to report a mom to CPS...

idk what to think. I am just hoping I did the right thing. Anyone else ever have to report someone and feel like you just hope you did what was best?

I am just hoping it gets better, not worse for the child.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:12 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think that if the child is not in danger, then CPS will move on. If you have a true concern, you should call. If you work with kids, I would assume you're a mandated reporter? If so, you HAVE to call if you're concerned, by law.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:21 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• gosh i hope it wasn't something stupid like the mom spanked the child, letting a child scream cuz there was nothing wrong with them or something...i hope it was something legit...these days people call CPS for anything. if you have to question yourself, i'm questioning if it really was something bad enough to call....
    Anonymous

• No.  I wouldn't call CPS and then hope for the best and wonder if I did the right thing.  It would have to be serious and I would have to seriously suspect abuse.  In the case I thought abuse was happening I would call CPS in a heartbeat and KNOW that I did the right thing.  ;)

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:20 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• In my opinion you did the right thing. Better safe than sorry.. especially when it comes to the kiddos. They are so precious and wonderful.. and none deserve to be mistreated in any way. Kudos to you. Hope things get better for the child!
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 11:14 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• You did what you had to do for the protection of the child. I myself had to report someone to CPS because they left their 2 or 3 year old in the car on a VERY hot day in Colorado while they took 10 or 15 minutes to take the groceries inside, then proceded to have a very verbal fight with their, what I took it as, gay partner that came really close to a fist fight. Do not feel bad over reporting something that is concerning to you to CPS because you are doing what you feel would be best for that child, and for their well being in life. You as a parent, and the position you have working with children at your job, you need to do what is ethically right for your position, no matter what.
    chrisrmom

Answer by chrisrmom at 11:19 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• If you felt in your heart of hearts you followed your intuition you can never do the wrong thing. Your woman intuition is almost always right. Trust yourself, if you are doubting yourself its becasue you are a good person and dont want to hurt the innocent, but you are protecting the most innocent, the children.
    Ckissell06

Answer by Ckissell06 at 11:26 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• If I had serious suspicions of abuse I would call. But it really seems like these days people are so quick to nose into other people's business be critical and report everything. It's not so fun when it happens to you.

If I report something, I don't need to question if I did the right thing. Just saying.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:26 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• If you suspect mistreatment and report the parent then you did the right thing. Even if you were incorrect about your suspicion and nothing was actually wrong you at least took action. If you don't take action and something is wrong you're allowing a child to be mistreated. It's important to take action even if you're unsure if your intuition is right or not. That child deserves someone looking out for them and you DID do the right thing by being that person.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:42 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Its always better to be safe then sorry but then again it depends...

did you see a bruise or something & report

or

was it like extremely serious? because if it was then you shouldn't question yourself...

it's a mother's instinct, even if its not your child.
    ZoeyMariah.

Answer by ZoeyMariah. at 11:42 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• They said the kids were already in the CPS system...I am a mandated CPS reporter, I work for the county so even if I suspect I have to call...And this I witnessed so I had to call. I just hope she isnt worse to her kids after the fact, or she leaves or something psycho.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:03 PM on Feb. 25, 2011