When can I let my daughter take baths or showers by herself?

Can anyone please tell me when I can know when to let my daughter take a bath or shower by herself? She's 6 years old now. And it's getting tiring to bathe both my kids at the same time. I usually end up gettting splashed a lot from both of them. I don't know when she'll be ready. So any advice, suggestions or comments will be much appreciated. Thank you!

Mari6443

Asked by Mari6443 at 11:13 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughter started showering alone when she was about 5-6. I would wash her hair for her, and she would do the rest.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:14 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Ask her if she would like to take a shower by herself. If she says yes, give her a chance and stay close
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 11:15 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• My daughter is 6 and has been bathing on her own for at least a year if not two years. I just go in and make sure she has washed and the soap is all out of her hair.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:16 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• My son is 5 and takes showers alone.  He just started recently.  My daughter is 3 and also decided that she wants to take showers so I let her.  They both have done extremely well.  My son washes his own hair, I wash my daughters hair still.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:18 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Hey allow your daughter to take bath on he ownr. Only thing is that you need to be careful. Turn off the shower. Fill a bucket of large tub ( which allows your daughter sit in it & the water level shoudl cover only half of her body) & let your daughter splash as much water as she wants. Give her a mild soap & lo your job gets done...
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 11:18 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• my kids are 4 1/2 and 5 1/2..they've been showering by themselves for almsot 2 yrs now..i still have to help my 4 yr old from time to time but she's getting better...you know your kid is ready when you just try and see for yourself
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:37 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• My son's 5 and been showering on his own for about 2 years. I double check he has got all the soap off but he does pretty good on his own. He's also been bathing independently since he was 2. Usually I would sit in the hallway folding laundry where I could hear his every move, but he thought he was "in private". He loved the privilege.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:45 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Mine started at 3. They've been showering or taking baths on their own for so long I can't remember the last time I helped one of them in the tub.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:03 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My daughter takes a bath on her own. I believe it gives her a sense of being a big girl. I took some precautions though. I took a bingo dotter and put a dot on the hot cold control and told her to not put the arrow any higher than that (keep her from being scalded) and I took a pencil and put a line in the tub to show her how high the water can be. I also went out and got her a bunch of travel size shampoo and conditioner. Good luck!!!
    familynsni

Answer by familynsni at 9:30 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My daughter started bathing herself when she was 6. I would turn the water on and wash her hair, but after that she was responsible for rinsing her hair and washing and rinsing her body.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:18 PM on Feb. 25, 2011