Breast milk going down?? please help!

I give my son breastmilk in a bottle as its easier to pump and bottle feed with having a 20 month old. For me it is anyways. Ok so I used to pump 12+ ounces in 7/8 min. Now siddenly its 8 ounces barely in 15 min. My son is aalmost 4 weeks. Why is this happening and is there sonething I can do to get more?? Should I pump more often?? Right now I pump every 4 to 6 hours. Not enough. He eats anywhere from 5 to 8 oinces every four hours. Tia!

randibosin

Asked by randibosin at 11:36 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would guess that you need to be pumping more often. I have heard that to successfully pump feed breast milk you need to be pumping every 2-3 hours round the clock, just like most newborns eat. On top of that your body is regulating the hormonal output of milk to supply and demand.

Pumping can be really hard, that's why most who feed breastmilk just put baby to the source. They are far more efficient than the machine. I know I sucked at pumping, and that was just a couple of time a week for a part time job, not feeding baby 24/7. Not condemning your choice. It was yours to make. I think you need to pump a lot more (or supplement with formula.)

I know it's hard with another child. My older kids are 20 months apart.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:14 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Id defi. try pumping more theres these vitiams i took to help my milk come in and there amazing ill have to find out what there called and message u bck but are u eating enough and drinkin lots of water??? and do u smoke
    Ashley2810

Answer by Ashley2810 at 12:13 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• You should decrease the amount of times between pumping for a few days. Pump every 2 hours so that your body thinks that you need more milk and it will make more. I would also visit kellymom.com for some other info on increasing your milk production via other tactics. Good luck. BTW a baby actually nursing will empty your breasts better than a pump will.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:16 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Ashley....thanks. I would really appreciate the name of those vitamins. I drink lots of water bit Idk as o ear enough (trying to eat healthier and drop some weight) and NO I don't smoke. I nursed a lot in the begining but he's such a slooooow nurser. I just don't have that kind of time with my daughter to care for too. I still nurse once a day usually (usually when my daughter is napping) I really don't want to supplement with formula yet so I need to get my milk supply up. I will start pumping every 2 to 3 hours yo up the demand.
    randibosin

Comment by randibosin (original poster) at 5:52 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• It is a challenge, to say to the least, to exclusively pump.

This is what helped me when I was having supply issues:

Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump

Answer by rkoloms at 7:05 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I would suggest putting baby to the breast more often. Pumping does not stimulate your body the same way your baby will. I know it is hard with an older child, but I am nursing my third baby now and I just try to have an activity for them to do while I nurse. I have also become quite efficient at playing board games one handed while nursing the little one. Anyway, put the baby directly to the breast and your supply should increase.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 9:13 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Whoa, Randi! Normal output is a mere two ounces max... I bow to you, O Lactating Goddess!

That said... you need to pump more frequently. Every two hours for 15 minutes. No less than that. Knowing that, you might find it easier to just put baby to breast. Do you have a sling? It's really required equipment when you have more than one; pop baby in and let him go to town.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:02 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I'm doing the same thing like you, i normally can pump 9-12oz within 15min. I bottle feed instead of breastfeed since day one, I feel like it's easier too. Your supply will go down if you don't breastfeed at all. what you need to do is at least breastfeed once a day so your body knows how much your little one drinks. It's really weird but my supply goes up when my little man eats more and I can pump the exact amount that he needs. I usually breastfeed before he goes to sleep and that's it once a day will do and of course drink a lot of milk, oatmeal, water and soup will help.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 4:34 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• You're pumping WAY more then most moms do. And I think you're overfeeding. Pump every time you feed. Baby needs 1-1.25 oz of breastmilk per hour. So, every 3 hrs, you need about 3-4 oz of milk in that bottle. More is considered overfeeding. I always tell moms that every time baby eats, milk should be removed from your breasts.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:06 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Oh, and babies become more efficacy at the breast as they get older. So if nursing took an hour as a newborn, when baby is a little older, you would usually notice they nurse in a shorter period of time, say, half hour. Then as they get even older, they may be able to extract the same amount of milk in 15 minutes. These numbers are just examples though.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:08 PM on Feb. 25, 2011