"Homebirthers" I have a few questions!

What was your experience like?  Feel free to share any details.  What did you do about the umbilical cord?  Did you have a midwife or no?  I have seriously thought about having a home birth so I just want to know some of your experieces.  Would you do it again or would you chose something else?

MrsHouston47302

Asked by MrsHouston47302 at 11:54 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I can offer some help in this area too- it's a great experience from the moms I know that have had them. You have to sterilize scissors for the cord and tie it off properly, and having a midwife is much safer than going without. Most midwives are happy to stand back and let you and your spouse (and anyone else you choose) handle things unless you need her. Midwives are all about the mom's experience and doing things her way as much as they can, so they're more flexible, especially in a home birth setting. It's so much more intimate at home, and you're not in a weird environment, and your older kids could be there if you wanted. You also wouldn't be separated from them while you recover.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:07 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I haven't had one but have been to them.
    They are wonderful!
    You might like to meet with a midwife and interview her with your long list of questions. (I have one I could share)

I would love to have a HB someday!
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:45 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Haven't had a home birth (yet, they're illegal in the state I live in right now), but I just wanted to say that Ina May Gaskin (she's a midwife) wrote a book called "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" that you might want to check out. It's full of home birth stories. Even if you don't go for a home birth, those stories, for me at least, were very inspiring and helpful while I was pregnant. They calmed a lot of my fears and the book answered a lot of questions I had. Doulala is right about interviewing a midwife, too, that's a great idea. Here's a bump for you!
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:47 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Home birth is not illegal. Having a midwife attended home birth can be illegal for her, but it is not illegal for mom to give birth at home , in the car, whatever.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 6:43 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• the only state with any legal issues in terms of homebirth is nebraska, even then as long as the father doesnt catch the baby its still legal.
    mrs.pyle

Answer by mrs.pyle at 10:31 AM on Feb. 25, 2011