Ancestry Research - Slavery

I like geneology and was watching a rerun of "Who Do You Think You Are" where they research Vanessa Williams. She found her greatgreatgrandfather had been born a slave and ended up a state representative and later a judge. It was a cool story to hear. It was so sad though to think of this man being born a slave.

It made me wonder how many people have found slavery in their family history - as slaves or as owners... sounds wrong to even use the word owners.

My family has no records of slavery that I know of and that is a relief to me.

Does your family have this history? If so have you done any research on the connection between the slave family and the people to whom they were enslaved?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on Feb. 24, 2011 in Relationships

• I found I am related or something to Daniel Boone. My other ancesters are all fom the area in Ireland and Scottland. Many of my relations dies in the potato famine in Ireland. My maiden last name is Fitzpatrick, can't get much more Irish then that!!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:12 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My family is Multi-cultural... not much isn't in my blood... and I have a second cousin, who is half black, and he's in an IvyLeague college, and was able to research back far enough... remember the day he walked up, and asked what I knew... Hmmm, Nothing! so he goes on to state it was their own people that sold them, the tribes would take over another, take the good women for themselves, and sell off those they didn't need... much like Puerto Rico has black mixed in, because the slave ships would dump "dead weight", and they washed ashore (than bred in)...

I have no "feelings" one way or another, and thankfully can view history for what it is
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:37 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I'm mixed with so much, like my husband... funnyto think, I have 2 kinds of American Indian, hubby has three (not my type), so our kids have 5 different kinds now...

My husband is mainly Italian, he's third generations born here, so nothing fromhis side... Walter Disney was my grandfather's third cousin.... I have no clue what and where my history came from, and never really cared, mainly because I'm mixed with so much it would be hard to keep track
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:40 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I know that my great paternal grandmother was a flapper.

I'm very interested in learning more about my ancestors.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 12:41 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• It's so interesting all the stories that led our families to where we are right now. It never ceases to amaze me.

Simplicity - a flapper sounds fun! Do you have pictures?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:44 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I'm British so I'm guessing my ancestors were slaves during the Roman occupation 2000 years ago.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:26 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• nice note!
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 8:39 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My mom went on ancestry.com and traced our family back to France. There were slave owners and alot of fancy names. Now we are mostly broke, hah.

HKing01

Answer by HKing01 at 10:24 AM on Feb. 25, 2011