Does anyone know alot about down syndrome??

My brother and his wife lost their baby about a year ago(stillborn) to DS. Now she is pregnant again and they said she has a 1/800 chance of having DS. Something about a white spot on the heart. The doctor said that she could have some test done to really find out but it was possible to miscarry. So of course shes not having the test, but just wanted to see if anyone had some more info on this.

jasesmommy0529

Asked by jasesmommy0529 at 10:05 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Health

• There is a heart defect that allot of downs children are born with. I believe it's called Axial Dislocation but I could be wrong. I do know there is a condition called Axial Dislocation that is common in downs individuals.

Since Downs is not hereditary, it's just an accident of nature, it's highly unlikely she'd have a second Downs baby. I've never heard of it happening more than once but I guess it's possible, just an extreeme rarity.

I would imagine they want her to have an amnio to test the amniotic fluid to see if the baby is Downs or has any other problems. There is a small chance that the amnio test could cause a miscarriage. Also, if they don't intend to terminate no matter the results, there is no point to having the test.

Best of luck to you and your family. I hope everything is okay.
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 10:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• There are alot of things that can cause a white spot on the heart yes DS is one but my son was born with DS and had a perfect heart. You really can't tell from an ultrasound weather or not a child will have DS an amnio is the only way to be sure. The DS group here is very helpful if you have more questions.

Winter711

Answer by Winter711 at 10:41 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Thank you both!
    jasesmommy0529

Answer by jasesmommy0529 at 11:26 PM on Nov. 19, 2008