Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Has anyone had a Justice of the peace wedding? HELP

I was looking into it and I cant find a certain price for Mesa AZ. Can we just go there and get married? Do I have to get a marriage licence first then go to the justice of the peace?? How long is it?

Answer Question

Asked by Augusta at 12:59 AM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Relationships

Level 13 (1,074 Credits)
Answers (12)
  • I was married by the justice of the peace and we did have to have the marriege licence. but it was quick

    Answer by Stormy7 at 1:01 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

  • is it two different places?

    Comment by Augusta (original poster) at 1:02 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

  • We got married by the Justice of the Peace. We applied for our wedding license at the courthouse and made the appointment with him at that time. We told the lady who sold us our marriage license when we wanted to get married and we went back to the courthouse on the appointed day and he married us in his chambers. You do have to have two witnesses with you when you go.

    Answer by Kathy675 at 1:16 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

  • i had a courthouse wedding. you have to get the marriage license and the courthouse can give u a list of licensed people to do marriages through them but there are more registered at every courthouse in the state. anyway one of the people on the list happened to be the commonwealth's attorney and was in the courthouse. so he did it right then. it cost us for the marriage license then again for the ceremony.

    Answer by huntin_mama at 1:33 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

  • In Texas, you have to buy your marriage license from the county clerk's office which is in the courthouse. You have to wait 72 hours after purchasing the license to get married. I made the appointment with the judge for three days later to get married. We didn't have to bring witnesses.
    I've done it twice and both times it was the same way.

    Answer by dmdblleb at 2:01 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

  • Call their information line

    Answer by Ckissell06 at 3:17 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

  • You have to have a marriage license first and then go there, the jp will marry you and then sign the marriage license. you take it back to the court within a certain amount of time and they enter it in. usually 30 days after its signed by the jp or else its void and you have to do it all over again

    Answer by shortycmlb at 4:50 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

  • In our state we get the license at the courthouse and the JP signs the papers and he/she sends them back. We don't go back to the courthouse

    Answer by admckenzie at 8:10 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

  • observing answers . each states has their way...

    Answer by GlitteribonMom at 8:35 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

  • i did this.. we got our marriage licence took 10 mins. and then called the jp and told her a day and time. she cost 80.00 plus we put in a 20.00 tip. downfall she showed up to our small wedding in hot pink sweat pants and shirt sneakers. while me and close friends were dressed up wedding dress and tux i admit it was small but really sweatsuit. and she was 45 mins late ( she knew werew it was ) so i was upset. and we were late going to the reception ( thats were all our money went lol. big celebration with all friends ( dh has to many friends not enough room for them all lol ) so make sure u talk to your jp. best of luck.

    Answer by tabbys4 at 8:52 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.