How old do u have to be.......

If u are 24 yrs old, already have 3 kids, and u do NOT want anymore kids, and birth control was a joke cause u are VERY fertile to the point that all u have to do is look at a door knob and get pregnant, to get your tubes tied?? My sister told her doc she wanted to have her tubes tied and he said no cause she wasn't old enough. She has tried birth control, just about every form out there nothing really worked, then she got a dignosed with having pre-cancerous cells in her cervix. I firmly believe its cause of the BC she was using. I had the same thing 8 yrs ago. The cancer runs real high on the female side of my family and thats why I will not use BC but I got my tubes tied after I had my dd. It may have been just a coincident, but I am not taking any chances. So do ya'll think a woman should have that choice??

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:01 AM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Health

• I think it might depend on the state ... i was in MO they told me I needed to be 25
    Stormy7

Answer by Stormy7 at 1:03 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• After seeing the probs my mom had with tying her tubes I will never tie them. If god blesses me with another I will take it.
    ready4baby2011

Answer by ready4baby2011 at 1:09 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• i know in california its 28 or your doctors call and they really talk to you and make sure, i was 24 when i had my second and he said he would do it because i had to but i had to be sure and i was borderline so he said he wouldnt, but if i came to him and was certain he would. you should ask if its the doctors call or by law, because mine was more than willing if my husband and i were completly certain
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 1:12 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Yeah that is wrong you should be able to get your tubes tied. Specially if you already have as many children as your sister.
    amparoortega

Answer by amparoortega at 1:18 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My sister was honest enough to admit she couldn't afford another one. And her man refuses to get snipped believing it wil make him less of a man, but I guess he don't think that way about my sister and making her a 'less of a woman'.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 1:19 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I think if a woman wants her tubes tied so be it. Its her body and tube tieing is reversible so why not? Its my body i want to do what the hell i want with it......
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 4:51 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• if you are concerned talk to your doctor and see if they will OK it for you to have the surgery
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:05 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I was 23 when I had my tubes tied.
    annie610

Answer by annie610 at 10:13 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I was 21 with 2 kids when I had Essure done. I had to fight tooth and nail to get it though. The problem is doctors. Many have their own views on it and refuse to do it unless you meet their requirements. It isn't about state law, just the doctor's own personal requirements. So it sometimes takes going to multiple doctors before you find one willing; that is what I had to do.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:04 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I was 18 when i had my first child. At 19 I had a doctor that tied my tubes. A lot of doctors wont do it that young but mine did. But after a few years i decided i wanted more children so i had a reversal and had two more children. Then i had them done again but this time I had it permanent no changing my mind again.
    shiffy2

Answer by shiffy2 at 8:14 AM on Feb. 26, 2011