Being on Welfare

There has been talk about making the people who receive welfare to be drug tested 1 or 2 x a month. I am completely for this. I worked in our local project housing for 3 yrs. About 80% of the residents there were smoking pot, crack, u name it on the states tab. If they were not smoking it, they were selling drugs. There was a resident who made really good money selling drugs. Enough that he was able to buy a new ride, a caddy of all things, got some gold jewerly, it was real, I am a woman and I know real gold when I see it!! lol
It made me so mad. But the NAACP is saying its against their constitutional rights.
How is that against their constitutional rights? If they recieve money from the government and they are doing drugs because they recieve this money, then I think it should be done., It will probably save the states alot of money. If the person doesn't pass the 1st test, they get the funds reduced, 2nd time they get off, and have 30 days to find someplace else to live.
I am all for this new law!! What about all you?

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:16 AM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• popcorn

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:19 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• but do you think people gettig child support shoud do this too ? Just a question ?
    Stormy7

Answer by Stormy7 at 1:19 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• It has pros & cons. I think short term assistance should not have to do drug testing ...if you stay on public assistance for years then perhaps twice a year or unless their is reason to believe the system is being abused.
    justalady774

Answer by justalady774 at 1:30 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• yes i think they should be drug tested.I worked at a health department and called the cops on some folks in the parking lot doing drugs.Well i was called in and told not ever to do that again,even if somebody came in with a gun i was never to call police.My super visor said she got into alot of trouble because of my actions.I did try to reach all supervisors that day but they were out to lunch.I quit soon after that.You give some ladies power in Goverment offices and they abuse it.at least this was my experience.These ladies delegated all their jobs out to other employees,.Bad situation all the way around.I smoked and we were allowed to take a break of 15 minutes ,i worked there for 6 months before anyone knew i smoked. took a break in the designated area for smokers only to have the head supervisor come out see me and yelled at me she could not believe i had fallen to this level,scared of loosing my job all i did was cry.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 1:37 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• @stormy---No, cause child support is the law of the courts when they hand down the ruling. The parent who pays the CS may not agree with what the receiving parents does with the CS, but u can report them to the judge then they can mandate the drug test without notice, But u have to have good solid evidence of them doing so.
    @justalady--I'm sure there will be some fine tuning on this case to see what works and don't work.
    @grismelda--It sounds like a case I read about that happened in Nebraska about a state employee quitting her job with CPS when they told her to lie on the stand about a woman allegedly abusing her children.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 1:57 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• stupid idea and a massive mess. You have to pay a technician to administer the tests, an attendant to stand there, clerical workers to track the results and make sure the right result hits the right file, the list goes on and on as to the bureaucracy this would create

Not to mention the fact that why in the world would you want to punish children if their parents smoke a doobie?

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:09 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• The government distributes the drugs anyways.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• You know, as of a fact, 80% of the residents were smoking crack? You saw all 80% smoking it up? I work with low income individuals who receive Medicaid and some other forms of public assistance - many of them living in public assisted housing. Hard working, caring, and responsible people. And most would fail a drug test. Not because they do so illegally. But because they are taking some very serious prescribed medication for serious health issues. I am also not willing to stereotype people who are currently low income residents.  And many low income assistant programs already do require drug testing.  I just don't see this as a major issue.  I would love to see better affordable housing, more assistance for those in need, and less like treating them like criminals.  It is degrading.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:51 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Do you know what it is going to cost the tax payers to drug test everyone and then pull there kids out of the home if these people are caught on drugs. you just going to over load the system with kids that are getting pulled out their homes for some stupid pot smoking. So should parents who smoke cigarettes lose there kids to cause it causes health problems for the kids??

And why shouldn't people getting CS be drug tested???? What if these mothers or fathers are using there CS to buy and get drugs??? How is that safe for the kids??? Sounds one sided to me and dumb. The government is just going to have more money issues if they do this cause there are ways to cheat the test and if they get tested twice a month your going to have to hire more workers for the drug testing alone and the kits to do it. IF you want to waste more of your tax dollars go ahead just not mine.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 9:09 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• No. I don't agree. I think the law is a stupid waste of time, with the main purpose being to humiliate those on public assistance.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 9:35 AM on Feb. 25, 2011