What excuses do you hear about breastfeeding? Why moms quit?

I think it's sad! I supplmented but I never once quit nursing until my daughter was 13 months. She was off the bottle the 2nd day after her b-day :)

I hear that mothers quit because "It hurts." " Most moms stop at 4 months so I will too."

" I'm uncomfortable." " It's too demanding." That's sad because I never quit even when I almost cried because it hurt so bad. I still did and it was worth every minute. Babies are born into this world to breastfeed. I notice that babies that are not breastfeed are more fussy and gassy tummys and attached to the pacifier.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I notice that babies that are not breastfeed are more fussy and gassy tummys and attached to the pacifier.

You don't know many ff babies, huh? Also, women don't need an "excuse" to quit breastfeeding. It's a choice, and your input or judgement isn't required.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:29 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I quit after 3 weeks with my older b/c she had jaundice when we left hospital and they told me to pump and feed to ensure adequate liquids and then I kept pumping and feeding and so it took double time to feed her and my ex refused to help by feeding her bottle while i pumped and she ate every 2 hours on the minute so by the time i finished feeding and pumping, it was almost time to start over. it just wore me out.

my 2nd was 4 months but i had a month built up in freezer so she got it for 5 months.

pumping ruined me. i nursed about half the time with my 2nd but pumped with her too so i would know how much she was getting.

if i have anymore, i will not even pull the pump out.
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 1:30 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• No. It's a personal choice. Formula and breast milk are equivalent. If you don't believe me I will be more than happy to post proof after proof for you with links and everything provided as well. You can say that your child is healthier than the kid with formula, but tbh every single bit of the difference has to do with the pregnancy, not with formula or breast milk.

Don't look down at people because they choose formula. It's their choice and it's not hurting their child.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 1:31 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I pumped for 4mo. then my boys were not doing well with by bm and that is when I quite pumping! I wish that I never did but, the nicu said it was for the best!! The things i know about formula now if I have another baby it will never get that junk! I wish that more people knew what was in it before the give it to their babies!!
    tripletmom28

Answer by tripletmom28 at 1:34 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• "Formula and breast milk are equivalent."

I am sorry to say but formula will never be equivalent to breast milk. formula will never be able to recreate the oxytocin (the bonding hormone) you get when you are breastfeeding, or the fact (scientific studies have proven) that breastfed babies have less medical problems. There are so many things that formula will never measure up to when its compared to breast milk. So no they are not equivalent. I agree you can choose to formula feed but please educate yourselves in knowing that formula is not as good as breast milk.
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 1:48 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Medical problems may not occur until later in life as well. It doesn't have to only compare to the early years in life. Just a provoking thought to think about.
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 1:53 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Too difficult, too painful, too much work..etc etc.

If anyone would have had a good excuse to quit, it would've been ME - but I *truly* want the best for my Son and I was determined to give Him THE best milk. I breastfed for very successful 8 months despite the difficulties We had. He grew and thrived and stayed healthy..and I know it's because I chose to breastfeed.

And, for the record - I formula fed, too, after my Son weaned. I am pro BOTH. =]
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 2:13 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Hm. I nursed my first until I couldn't because of being pregnant with my twins. I stopped when I was 4 months pregnant and my first was 4 months old. I formula fed the twins because I couldn't pump enough for both while they were in the NICU for 6 weeks because of being born art 32 weeks. All 3 babies thrived, were and still are very healthy. I can count on one hand how many times they have been sick. I do believe breast is best, but formula is comparable.
    yestheirallmine

Answer by yestheirallmine at 2:22 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I quit nursing my third because my PPD was getting too severe. Breastfeeding was entirely too much for me to handle. I chose to stop breastfeeding my baby girl so I could be a better mother to all of my children. Once I stopped, I noticed that my hormones were able to balance out, and I was able to kick the PPD.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:33 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My first was breastfed until he was two.
    My second had a milk protein allergy and medically could not breastfeed. He pooped blood clots for two weeks, until they finally found a formula his little tummy could handle. Its called neocate hypoallergenic amino acid based formula with DHA and ARA. I never thought I would formula feed my kids. But sometimes you literally HAVE to.
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 3:30 AM on Feb. 25, 2011