Doing away with Co-ed schools!

I hate our public school system I don't think our children learn anything. Two things I would propose is eliminating co-ed schools until middle school or highschool. I would also propose uniforms. I think being able to wear pretty much what ever you want is distracting. I also feel that boys and girls learn differently and they would get more in an all girl or all boy school. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with the uniform suggestion, but I don't see how separating young boys and girls will be much help in the early years. If you are going to separate, than I would suggest separating during middle and high school, when the opposite sex becomes more of a distraction. Of course if your child is gay, they will still be distracted.

As for my kids, they will be enrolled in a virtual academy, so all their schooling will be done at home. It is very individualized, so I know they will get the most out of their education.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:19 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• If we do away with Co-Ed schools then I think it would be better to do away with them at the middle or high school age. They are more distracted by finding dates and looking pretty for the boys or the boys are distracted with trying to have sex with as many girls as possible than anything at that age. Uniforms I was against in school because they were ugly as all get out. We did have a dress code however which kept things so they were not distracting. No low cut shirts, no tank tops, no pants dragging to the ground, no bad words or images on shirts, no underwear hanging out...they had so many rules on the dress code that we were close to being uniform in our regular clothes.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 10:21 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• why do away with it til jr high and hs imean thats the problem teens paying attention to each other thats just dumb im sorry .. the uniforms ya ok fine but the rest just stupidity
    Anonymous

• my thoughts: Your thoughts on eliminating co-ed and mandating uniform don't leave much room for creative thought. Eliminating co-ed schools would not be preparing a child for the real world.
    Anonymous

• i agree i like the idea accept that i would want them separated when they were in middle school or high school. that way their will be less teen pregnancy and less sexual exposure of some children that are sexually active. uniforms would keep girls from having short skirts and short tops and the boys pants on their butts. it's great. how can we get this done?
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 10:26 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I suggested eliminating co-ed schools until middle school or highschool because children learn and absorb alot more when they are younger. If they are in a school with all girls/boys when they are younger they will be learning with children who learn along the same lines as they do. For example girls we know talk earlier and communicate better, I think it would be easier and more beneficial to structure a curriculum around that. Now I know all little girls won't learnt he same way but I think there will be more similarities. Also as far as uniforms go, when children arn't worried about having Abercrombie and Fitch clothes from head to toe or who's wearing what, I think that would be one less distraction. It would also be easier on the parents wallets.
    Anonymous

• I would think separating them in Middle and H/S would help. I remember a big focus during that time was the boys. What we look like and for some how to impress so and so. It just seems as if so many focus on the wrong things and training them to be able to focus on studying. My DH benefited from boarding school with boys only and even in college he got straight A's and put school first. I think a good alternative could be maybe having both sexes go to the same school but in seperate classes.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 10:35 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I don't mean this to be flippant, but in my opinion, we don't live in a sexually segregated world, we live in a "co ed world". Having children in class together, learning to interact in a "work environment" with different people (including the opposite gender, with the gender differences addressed - or not - in an age appropriate manner). Also, if you start at an early age teaching your children to see people as PEOPLE - encouraging and allowing friendships with both genders, and stressing that school is for LEARNING from a very early age, then there are going to be less problems.

But to keep them separated when they're younger, thus building more of an air of mystery and mystique around the opposite sex, then throwing them together for the first time when their hormones are starting to rage sounds like a very bad idea to me...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:45 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Where both have been tried the grades go way up and so does attendance. Both have been used in the past and are currently being used with great results. School is NOT real life--how often after graduation do you spend your days with the same age group and move from level to level with the same people---so the idea that separating the genders isn't real life does not hold water:-) Unfortunately, there are those idiot people fighting both uniforms and single gender schools--in the name of "equality" and totally ignoring the actual results.

Anonymous

• By the way, yes, there are differences in how a child learns, and there are different developmental speeds for boys and girls generally, it's not a hard and fast thing. Each child, separate from their gender, has their own style of learning. My 2 kids - ds and dd, both in hs - , are given assessments in their classes at the beginning of the year to help show their teachers what their learning styles are - some are more visual, some are more verbal, some prefer a mix, some learn better with the show me an example method, some do better with the let me read it, try it, and then ask questions on it sort of method, etc.

Would you suggest segregating along those lines as well? Because if we were to separate based on every difference, then we would basically need to have one on one teaching. Which is a wonderful idea, but not very practical for a public school setting.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:53 PM on Nov. 19, 2008