Has anybody ever gone from part time breast feeding to full time breast feeding?

tomorrow my baby will be 19 days old and for the first week of life he was fully breastfed. But he had lost a pound within 5 days of birth, and had jaundice so the doctor wanted him on formula for 48 hrs. So I did just that. I breast feed and have to supplement with formula anywhere from 2-4 times in a 24 her period because my breast will empty of milk and not meet his needs, so I will make him a formula bottle to satisfy him. I wasnt to get back to full time nursing...Is this possible, has anybody else gone thru this? if so please help..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am so sorry that you doctor gave you poor advice; the less you nurse, the less milk your body will produce.

This is what helped me when I was having supply issues:

Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump

Answer by rkoloms at 7:07 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• A pound may have been fine, depending on birth weight and delivery method and whether you got IV fluids. Babies normally lose ten percent of birth weight. C-sec babies and babies whose moms got a lot of IV fluids lose ABOVE ten percent of birth weight.

You can get to full time breastfeeding before Monday. Just NURSE. Really! Dump the bottles. You don't need them.

Don't look for satisfied... it's easier to satisfy your mother in law than a newborn so never look for that. COUNT DIPES. 6-8 per day.

Also follow rkoloms' advice.

And get in bed with baby and do nothing but nurse for the next 24 hours. You will experience a supply surge by the end of it.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:47 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Yep! I had thrush and only breastfed with one breast part time but when i healed I latched my baby on and let her nurse til her heart (or in this case her tummy lol) was content. The only way you can produce enough milk is by nursing as much as the baby wants to. Good luck to you!
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 2:22 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• It's all about supply and demand with milk. A possible solution for yo ucould be to talk to your lactation consultant or your nurse and see about this little tube thing that is attached to a syringe. you put the little tube next to your nipple and let the baby latch on to both the nipple and the tube. The tube is attached to the syringe which has formula in it, you simply let the baby nurse while pushing the formula through a bit at a time. The idea is to help your supply increase while being sure the baby is getting what he needs in the meantime.
    Worked for us! Good luck, and good for you to try so hard! I'm super proud =)
    sissy15

Answer by sissy15 at 3:00 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Also, It is soooo common for babies to loose a little in thier first week, keep your chin up!
    sissy15

Answer by sissy15 at 3:03 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• It's VERY possible, and will probably be easier at this age then if you'd have waited longer. I was exclusively FFing DD when we left the hospital, and began nursing at 5 days old, and went on to EBF her. The advice you've been given is excellent. I would just stop the supplements all together at this point, but if you're really uncomfortable doing that, you can decrease the amount in each bottle, and then decrease the number of bottles until you're only nursing. I would just nurse, on demand, for however long baby wants. If you finish, and he's still acting hungry, just nurse again. Yes, even if you just nursed 5 minutes ago. THIS is what will build your supply. 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period means baby IS getting plenty. Relax as much as you can, keep hydrated, nurse.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:42 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• You body will make however much milk your baby wants or however much you MAKE your body produce (pumping) I never understood when people say that their bodies did make enough for their baby. This is pretty close to impossible (maybe in a very rare case it is but NOT often) Good luck!! :)
    nat1387

Answer by nat1387 at 2:11 AM on Feb. 26, 2011