Do you think people should have the option to end their life if they are suffering?

Just as we choose to put our pets to sleep, do you think people should have the same right to choose to end their own life if they are suffering from a life-threatening illness that will have them bed-ridden, and suffering til they pass away?

Just thinking of this after watching "You Don't Know Jack" on HBO. What are your thoughts?

I personally think we should be given the same grace that animals get when they are suffering.

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 2:24 AM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Religious Debate

• yes i belive we should have the option to end our own life but only is its in a hospitol settting
    Mrs.Prine

Answer by Mrs.Prine at 2:26 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Yes, I do. I think that there should be that option for those that are seriously ill, and are in extreme amounts of pain/suffering. No one deserves to be extremely miserable, and if the individual chooses to end their life instead of suffering, I see nothing wrong with that. I do think a mental evaluation should be performed (if possible) & all medical options should be reviewed before the option is given to the individual though.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:29 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Yes I do. I wouldn't want machines keeping me alive. I wouldn't want to be a vegetable or a burden. I would want to go on where I would be eternally peaceful. Excellent question, btw.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 2:30 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• P.S. That's why everyone needs a living will.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 2:31 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• wow... definitely a deep question.. if I was a vegetable or on life support, or a coma I definitely would want them to pull the plug. But I saw my Godmother die and suffer from brain cancer, and honestly I think she should have been able to end it. In her case it wouldn't have been for selfish reasons, she suffered terribly and I believe that people like that should have that choice without "going to hell"

June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 2:41 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I do and anyone that argues that fact has obviously not seen the physical and emotional pain that these people go through when they know they are dying.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 2:47 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Yes, after all, it's my life. But only when the person can communicate their wishes. People in a vegetative state usually don't want to die. This presumption shouldn't be used to terminate people's lives that cannot consent.
    But anyone should have the right to end their life, it is their life.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 3:59 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Yes, I think if someone is in so much pain, and are dying anyway then allow them to make their own choice. Why make them suffer except someone else's beliefs, or selfishness in not wanting to see them go.
    Cosetterose

Answer by Cosetterose at 4:13 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Yup, I believe if someone is suffering and wants to end it, they should be able to. Why do we think prolonging the pain and grief for a person is better for them? It is such a selfish idea to think that someone who is a "vegetable" would be mad if they were taken off life support. If I was terminally ill and suffering daily I wish I would have the option to end it gracefully as we can do for our pets. And my husband knows that if I were to ever be in a vegitative state I would not want to stay that way.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 5:23 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Yes, I fully support euthanasia.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:10 AM on Feb. 25, 2011