Should hardened criminals get microchipped ?

spidersex offenders, bank robbers, drug lords, murderers etc.

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 4:04 AM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• No, not unless we all were required to microchip. Broad laws like this would place a terrible burden on any criminal who decided to go straight. We already have enough burdensome laws that effect their lives after prison, making it near impossible to live a straight life.

I am an optimist, I believe that anyone can be redeemed.

What we should work on is making sure certain people who are a true danger to society, never get out in the first place

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:02 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I definitely believe that child predators should be chipped as a condition of release due to the rate of recidivism for crimes against children. They rarely go 'straight'. You might actually have to put them under and plant a few chips just in case they were to find one and have it removed. If they remove a chip, I think they should get life without possibility of parole.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:01 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I"m with Charis76. If they are so bad we need to keep tabs on them 24/7 they should not be released.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 9:38 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I agree a with you a 100%;.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 4:15 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• ok so we tag criminals so where does it stop then, we tag children when there born to keep them safe, where does it stop pretty soon every one is tagged and the government knows your every move and thought and every thing else and can control you more then they do now.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 8:46 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I would much prefer if we kept the really bad ones in prison for life.

Maybe it because I think of dogs getting micro chipped but my first thought when reading the question was.... who cares if they get lost?
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 9:28 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I think that a great idea too! But you know they will scream it's a violation of their civil rights. I say the civil rights of the masses over rules a criminal's civil rights. Good question :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:39 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• This is something that could be done to sex offenders as a condition of their release. Is it being used anywhere?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:01 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• To do what ? putting a piece of something inside them doesn't do anything.

You want to know their location, you ankle tag them. What other purpose is there?
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 8:36 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I'm not really sure. Part of me says yes. But the other part of me screams loudly no. We do have electric bracelets to monitor some people out on bond, house arrest, or parole. An electronic microchip (placed in a location unknown to the offender, they know they have one, while he/she is under sedation) may be more efficient that the current ankle bracelets. Currently many offenders have found a way to deactivate or take them off. It takes awhile before officials may notice. The lag is time is not comforting to victims of their crime.  On the other hand I worry about their civil rights and if there are better ways to spend our resources: intensive therapy and rehabilitation.  We don't do that now.  We have some brief group counseling but nothing that is intensive and personal with a highly qualified professional.  Those cost.  Hard question OP.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:40 AM on Feb. 25, 2011