Did this recession make you re- evaluate your spending habits ?

credit cardwriting

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 4:14 AM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• It made me seek local campgrounds close to home, instead of the usual going to the mountains or beach to go camping. I found 2 good campgrounds about 30 minutes from home and a really nice KOA campground about 1 1/2 hrs away.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 5:57 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Oh yes! We are now a product of the bad economy!! With 3 layoffs within a year and a half span, we were kind of forced to re-evaluate how we spend. It's really carved us into stronger people and things have happened because of it, like me being able to work from home. So, it's been bitter-sweet! ;o)
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 8:07 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Yes. My husband has gone through 2 lay offs since 2004. One of them lasted almost 2 yrs before he could find the job he is at now. Before the 2nd lay off we have a good savings, 401k, and were in the process of buying a house. We ended up not doing that and now really dont have plans to buy for awhile longer. I dont see investing any money into this economy until we see some major turn around. We also didnt get a new car as planned, we got a used car. We have our own garden now for veggies so I dont have to buy them part of the year either.
    I think we all have to do what we can to survive and save money.

Answer by gemgem at 8:10 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• No. We are actually better off financially through the recession. Before it happened we had already wisely invested our money, my husband has a great job that. Is strong in the weak economy and we already were super cheap.

We used the housing bust to purchase a cheap fixerupper, with only a 8 yr mortgage.

My house will be absolutely paid for bbefor I'm 30
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 9:54 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• While I have always been cautious about where the money goes, I have recently reevaluated my budget and tightened things down a bit.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:46 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• In our household we have have watched how our money is spend very carefully from the get go not just because of the recession. We're budget conscience individuals from early childhood that has lead into adulthood.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:50 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Yes. We have stopped doing a lot of things we used to do. We just can't afford it anymore. With gas and groceries costs on the rise, we'll have to cut even more.
    August07Mom

Answer by August07Mom at 11:12 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• shoppingstill like shopping

smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 11:30 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• the only things we have really changed is how much we drive, instead of driving 30minute to the large town to purchase things we cost compare the shipping to the gas to get there and sometimes it just cheaper to purchase it online....and we are looking in to vaction options/activites the kids can enjoy closer to home
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 12:47 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Nope. But Dave Ramsey did. Funny- we found him shortly after the recession hit- so it sorta seemed like we were reacting by cutting our expenses, but instead we were working on getting out of debt and building an emergency fund!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:10 PM on Feb. 25, 2011