People change .... do you think it is possible for a child molester to change ?

ninjawhat do u think about the term "former" child molester ?

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 4:20 AM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• No I think it is an illness. I think the compulsion will always be there.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:51 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I think it depends on what type of Child Molester they fall under..... did they actually touch a child.... or was it an 18 year old boy having sex with his 16/17 year old girlfriend? (Yes, it does happen and more often than you think) I think that someone who touches a child should seriously be locked away for life, and no I don't think it is something that someone does reform from. Apparently that is what attracts them.

If you are attracted to tall, dark haired, blue eyed guys....can you stop looking when you see one???? You may not touch them, but you still look. So, NO, I do not believe in a "reformed child molester". The are still going to look at a child and have thoughts. (and yes..before I get bashed...I am very judgmental towards people that hurt children)
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 7:26 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• even if they never molest another child again, they are still a child molester and I would NEVER allow them around my child again, out of fear.. Maybe it's small minded of me, but the safety of my child comes before any "former" child molester. I don't care if it offends him/her or not, but if it hurts their feelings then they can think about what they did to that child/ren and how they ruined their life.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 6:00 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• hell no those people will never change they might not do it for a while but that is an itch that always needs to be scratch
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 7:47 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I think child molesters are like dogs that bite. You can retrain them and punish them and keep them caged up and away from children but you can never trust them again. It's better if you put them down and save yourself the heartache.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 1:01 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• No. I think the statement (former molester) is an invalid statement.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:06 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• the compulsion will always be there.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 8:31 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I personally know a so called "former" child molester..... He molested a 4yr old and 7yr old in 1990 he spent time in jail. He did good for several years. An 11yr old girl moved in next door to him eventually he molested her.

So, no I don't think they can change eventually they go back to do it agian. He is currently doing 50yrs. He will die in there.
    diamondsky

Answer by diamondsky at 12:28 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• I think anything is possible, but there's no way I would risk having someone with such a past around a child.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 10:53 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Yes, and I have worked with some. I have thought about specializing in this exact area. The answers are too long and too complicated for a single post. But the long and short of it is it depends on the pathology, the reasons why, and the resources available. There is a difference between a man who loves sex with kids because that is what he is attracted to vs. a 16 year old who was sexually assaulted and is acting out what occurred to him. Each situation is so different and complicated. So yes some people who have sexually offended children can be assisted into recovery and a healthy life. And no, some people can't - in my opinion.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:24 AM on Feb. 25, 2011