My daughter gain.

My middle child, Jennifer, is getting kind of chubby. Please help, I want her to stay in shape!

MomMellisa

Asked by MomMellisa at 7:24 AM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• more whole grains and veggies get her involved into some activities she might like. or depending on her age maybe sign up for the gym and go with her it could be a mommy daughter workout thing.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 7:27 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Get her more active, watch her sugar and empty calorie intake. It's possible to turn everyones eating habits into more healthy ones. No chips or sweetened cereal, no pop or high sugar drinks. How old is she, that says a lot about how to handle it. ...so talk to her pediatrician/doctor (when she's not in the room). Make sure you don't harp on her about her weight...you may cause her to be a closet/emotional eater. Oh and just MO do not ever compare her to her siblings. Each child is different, they have different metabolisms and different emotions. Make sure that she is chubby by the doctors standards and not society's. Good Luck.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 7:32 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My daughter is almost 16, she is average height, thank you for your answers :) hope to get some more.
    MomMellisa

Comment by MomMellisa (original poster) at 7:35 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• How does your daughter feel about herself? Has the doctor said she is a little heavy or have you decided that? Parents, with the best of intentions, sometimes see children with biased eyes. This happened to me with my mother (she wouldn't help me with healthy eating and then literally take food away from me) and my eating and body image are still distorted more than 20 years later.

Really, fun physical activity that she feels good about and cutting out processed foods should help.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 7:41 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I've actually checked with the doctors
    MomMellisa

Comment by MomMellisa (original poster) at 7:42 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I would hope that the doctor didn't just say that your daughter was heavy but that they offered some helpful suggestions for healthy weight loss as well. Really hope you all find a solution that works and that your daughter is alright with.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 7:47 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• yes, thank you so much :)
    MomMellisa

Comment by MomMellisa (original poster) at 7:49 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Do you have a Wii? Many of the teens/college people I know enjoy the Just Dance games - they're active and fun! Would be an option just to get her more active.

Answer by missanc at 8:02 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Limit her sweets if she has any
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:28 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Do physical activities WITH her, ride bikes, swim, go for long walks or hikes, play Wii fit, etc.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:36 PM on Mar. 4, 2011