2 year old just diagnosed with being lactose intolerant

Dr. said to take ALL dairy products out of his diet. I went to the store and almost EVERYTHING that we buy that he will eat has milk in the ingredient! How are we going to do this with a picky 2 year old?? UGH!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It will be a huge change, no doubt but the simplest way is to make all your food from scratch. Then you know exactly what you are feeding your son. Good luck!
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 7:45 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My best friends son is allergic to milk, he vomits and get huge hives! She has learned to be creative. lol. She will make two batches of mashed potatoes on with milk on with soy milk, same with other casseroles. She uses margarine in his food and butter in theirs. They make soy yogurt, ice ream, cheese and other milk free subs you just have to really look.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:49 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• they have some childrens lactose chewables or drops that you could try at the drug store. but yea its going to be a huge change. i dont know what i would do if i couldnt eat dairy that would drive me nuts, i love milk too much.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 7:51 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• It seems hard now, but it will get easier with time. My younger DD is LI as well, and while it was a huge pain at first, now it's just second nature. Soy milk has come a long way, as has lactose free milk, and other products with no lactose. We used Mayfield Nurture for a long time for DD- it has special cultures to help her tummy. Hope this helps, mama!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:29 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• What kinds of foods will he actually eat?
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 10:17 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• being picky what does he like?
    san78

Answer by san78 at 12:25 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I had to try that when the doc thought my son was allergic. it was horrible. even some crackers had milk products in it. try to find a website with tips.
    nonni2

Answer by nonni2 at 12:59 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• First, there is a difference between intolerance and allergy. I am lactose intolerant and can eat SOME dairy. Someone who is intolerant of a food can eat small amounts of it...so milk in other foods is usually ok. Someone who is allergic can NOT have ANY dairy. Talk to the doctor about if he can have small amounts that are in other foods.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:56 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I have many great recipes that can easily be made dairy free.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:55 AM on Feb. 27, 2011