Sleeping on tummy..

At what age can infants start sleeping on their tummys? My daughter just turned 5 months old. Has gotten rolling over down pact and has been falling asleep on her tummy lately. Whenever I roll her back over, she wakes up. I am uneasy and I can't sleep thinking something will go wrong. So, at what age is the cause for concern over?

MomToFour247

Asked by MomToFour247 at 10:26 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As long as she can roll herself over, she should be fine. SIDS peaks around 4 months...I believe it's between 2 and 4 months.
    lebrbria

Answer by lebrbria at 10:28 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• My daughter always preferred to sleep on her tummy. so we let her. And her Doctor said that it was fine as long as we were okay about it. Just remember to not have toys and blankies allaround. no pillows that sorta thing. try one of those snap on blanket sack. (what are they called) anyways, she was just fine since day 1 till now and she still only sleeps on her tummy. (2 years old now).
    nicholelpb

Answer by nicholelpb at 10:31 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• my rule of thumb was if I laid them down on their back and they rolled, I left them that way! if they are doing it them self, there's no point in risking waking them up to move them just for them to roll again. KWIM?
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 10:32 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• if the baby can roll to her tummy and back to laying on her back without help then she should be fine.
    babies who cant roll onto their backs from the tummy position should still be asleep on their backs.
    if need be roll up some swaddling blanets tight and put one below each of her arms up close to her belly while she is on her back - since they are up close to her belly this should keep her from being able to roll herself over ... and since they are below her arms it wont impair her breathing by getting near her mouth or nose.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 10:43 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I think it is fine for your daughter to sleep on her tummy as long as she can lift her head and there isn't anything in her crib. My son is close to 5 months and has just mastered rolling from his back to tummy. However, he hasn't gotten down going from tummy to back. He actually wakes up when he rolls over during the night getting upset that he can't go back to his back. I hope this helps!
    McNuttMom

Answer by McNuttMom at 10:55 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Once she can roll over, she's fine. The rule is - put her to sleep on her back and let her get comfy any way she wants.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:04 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• my daughter can roll onto her belly, but not from her belly to her back. when she flips onto her tummy in her crib, i flip her back to her back. i am exhausted so i wouldn't recommend this solution. i'd let her stay on her tummy if only she had good neck control and if she could turn her head to the side while on her belly. if you still are hesitant, i can suggest the magicsleepsuit to you which was recommended to me here on cafemom. i'll be ordering one soon.... maybe it will be a good solution for you and your kiddo as well. good luck sleeping!
    rachelsmommy78

Answer by rachelsmommy78 at 11:09 PM on Nov. 19, 2008