For the teachers out there.....

I have homeschooled my DD since the begining. She is now 7, the age of a first grader and recently put in 1st grade at the local school. We moved into a much better district, she wanted to go and we agreed to try it out for her. I have nothing against public school, just the district we had been in.

I knew my DD was ahead of most 7 year old, but now I am seeing she is WAY far ahead. She can read and comprehend on a 5th grade level at least, she is ahead in grammar and even in math. They sent home a list of 40 sight words, and 16 spelling words. She already knows each and everyone one. They are doing 'fact triangles' in math...she can add and subtract 3-digit numbers and has started multiplication.

I have contacted her teacher 3 times, once I called and left a msg and two e-mails. She has not responded back. I want her tested, moved a grade, given more challenging work. I have even told her I will provide the work for her sinceI have the curriculum she has been working with.

I am beginging to sound like one of "those" parents that teachers can't stand to see or hear from. However I will not let my DD be dumbed down when she is easily capable of so much more.

From a teachers point of view, please tell me how this should be handled.

mom2queenie2004

Asked by mom2queenie2004 at 8:07 AM on Feb. 25, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• sorry im not a teacher but this is what i would do. i would continue with work at home that you have been doing and dont let her fall back. and of course do the work the school is doing. since the teacher isnt getting back with you i would go to the school and talk to the prinicple about it and get her tested and get her in advanced classes or in a higher grade.
    dont let the school slack. i wouldnt care if i was one of those parents that the teacher cant stand to see or not i would care most about my child getting a quality education.
    if the school district wont do anything for you i would consider pulling her out and going back to home school.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 8:13 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I think you are absolutely right about your child! I also like the fact that you are not only advocating for her, but willing to step in & help provide appropriate materials for her. If the teacher doesnt return your call, make an appt. w/ the principal or ask for a meeting w/ both. Because of developmental social issues at this age, they will probably be relunctant to advance her to the next grade. They may allow it for the subjects she is excelling in. My dau's school allowed kids to move up or down a grade for reading groups. (She should move up for math too!) Suggest that as a possible way to adjust her work to her capabilities. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:16 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I would like to add, I am not an advocate of skipping grades. I may do one grade, because there are some 2nd graders who are 7, but there is a whole social and emotional issue that we are not willing to have our DD deal with by being a 7 year old 3rd grader, or a 15 year old Senior.
    mom2queenie2004

Comment by mom2queenie2004 (original poster) at 8:38 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I am a retired Teaching Assistant. You should definitely try contacting the teacher one more time, either by phone or showing up at school. If she still does not respond, I would go to the Principal. As far as I know, moving children up grades has not been done in public schools for some time. There are all kinds of concerns and issues, which you are fully aware of given what you've posted here, especially social and emotional. Still, you have the right to ask your daughter be tested and together with her teachers to find the correct solution for her.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 9:07 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I'm not a fan of skipping grades. I would encourage you to withdraw her and homeschool. There is not much that the school can do and it's a disservice to your dd to allow her to be dumbed down. You have done a great job already and should continue! GL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I am not a teacher but I have worked in schools with parents and kids. The law, in all 50 states, is for public schools to meet the minimally appropriate standard. So if the school is meeting the needs of your child for their age and grade level...it will be an up hill battle. You can do things to assist and advocate for your child. In meetings parents had with teachers - teachers loved when parents came up with concrete and specific suggestions. Even bringing in things can be helpful. If you believe your child could move up a grade, inquire about it to the administration. I know several schools that approached parents when they believed it was in the best interest of the child so that a school they could meet the needs of the child academically. It does happen, but rarely. If a public school can't meet your child's needs, can you shop around?  Some private schools are willing to be more specific to each child's

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:17 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• individualized needs. For example, my son attends a private Montessori program that allows him to work on both K-5 and preschool work. If he can master the work he moves up. It is all about individual learning needs. There is also a public Montessori in my area. If your local area has school choice, can you shop for a public school? Sometimes our options are very limited due to location and finances. Inquire about a psychological evaluation, put it in writing, and specify the area of concern so that they can better decide which screenings to do. GL. And you can always supplement at home as well. I find most teachers are very receptive to parent concerns. If you don't get timely responses, let your teacher know in person you're disappointed and you are "sure there is some miscommunication" If you still don't get desired level of commuication, see the administration.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:22 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• She may be doing work at a higher level, but I think teachers also look at maturity and social interactions

Good luck with this issue, I hope it works out in a way that is best for your child

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:54 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• The hardest transition for parents of homeschoolers going to public school is the reality of how much individual time your child really gets at school.

7 hour day
    30 students
    14 mins a student if you do no full group activities, skip lunch, don't go to music or gym etc.

I know that in my 1st grade class we have already done 3 digit addition and subtraction, and my top reading group is working on Ramona and Beezus. I would go right up to the school and request a meeting. Although the entire day will not be on the higher level, an effort should be made!
    snailteacher

Answer by snailteacher at 7:27 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I'm a teacher and you need to contact your school district's administration offices and request an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) meeting for your child if your school's principal is not giving you satisfactory answers.

Gifted students ALSO qualify for IEPs--it's NOT just for those students who have learning disabilities. Your daughter will be given a comprehensive assessment as to her true academic level, and if she qualifies, SHOULD be placed in the gifted program (which all districts have) and given the appropriate coursework.

The IEP will follow her and ensure that she is provided with such accommodations throughout her public education. She will be re-evaluated every 3 years (unless the school district and parents wish to conduct a meeting sooner).
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:44 AM on Feb. 26, 2011