Vegan food

I live in a small town in South Carolina and the closest "vegan market" is 96 miles away! I just do not have the funds or the time to go there. There are a couple natural food stores but with no vegan cheese (my only concern really lol) and they're tofu selection is very limited.
What should I do? I guess completely omitting cheese from any recipe? :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Nutritional yeast can be used to make dishes like cheeseless nachos (it is also an great source of B12). If there is an Asian market, they may even have fresh tofu.

Send me a message if you would like some recipes.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:43 AM on Feb. 26, 2011

• Ha! I wonder which small town in SC. I am familiar with the area. In any case, I hear you. I think it is possable but very hard to do. Can you buy from on line providers and have it shipped to your home? There are many on line grocery stores to browse and try. It may be more expensive but you would be only purchasing those items that cannot be found more locally.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:26 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Can vegan cheese be frozen? I would think make it a once a month trip and stock up in the freezer. I have done that with dairy cheese when there was a great sale before.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:44 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My SIL orders special cheese online and it's shipped with ice packs - even if it doesn't get to her for a few days it's still practically frozen. Wish I knew the site. She also special orders it from a local grocery store, or she drives an hour away and stocks up - she's had as much as 40 lbs of special cheese in her freezer at once (it's not vegan, but my nephew has major food allergies so Idk what exactly it is). So my suggestion is to invest in a small deep-freeze if you don't have one, and drive to that store once every 1-2 months or so and stock up on your cheese - watch for sales!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Our Publix carries vegan cheese and other items, they are usually in the produce department.
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 12:01 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My Fry's and Safeway have vegan cheese.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 2:49 PM on Feb. 25, 2011