How do you get your 2 year olds to sleep? What time is their bedtime?

My 2 yr old son is very dependent on my laying down with him at night. He will not go to sleep without me. I'm just wondering how many other moms out there also lay down with their toddlers for them to fall asleep.

arocks

Asked by arocks at 8:36 AM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We don't lay down with our daughter but she does get read to until she falls asleep. I may need to try recordings of stories for her to listen to instead so she's not as dependent on us.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 8:37 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• You need to create a routine, you have created the routine you have now. You need to start from scratch.

Answer by older at 8:38 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• when my son was 2 we had him in bed by 7:30 in the evening and he usually was asleep by 8 PM I did and still do lay down with him once in awhile but try to get him to go to sleep on his own, most nights our routine consisted(and still do) of bath time, reading a couple books, me sining a few songs softly to him giving hugs and kisses and saying our special prayer and then him laying down and going to sleep
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:46 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I tell when it will be bed time and we take our medicine, vitamin and brush our teeth and she goes to bed between 7 and 8 with no problems.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:46 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My 2 year old goes to sleep anywhere between 7:30 and 8:00. She will tell us the same time everyday that she is tired and ready for bed. We just started getting her in a routine when she was little since she was one! We would get her pajamas on. then she could pick out one book and I would read it to her. So now she will get her own pajamas on, climb up in bed. Sometimes she wants a story read and other times she doesn't. She always watches a movie before bed if she has been good. ;)
    custer8611

Answer by custer8611 at 8:47 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Wean her out of it. Start walking our when she is drowsy, then start waiting until she is just quiet until you are only laying with her for a couple of min. I agree it has become a routine and a new one can replace it. You need to figure out what you do want. My DD is 3. At 7:00 is is 'quiet time' she can sit and look at books or watch part of a show on tv at 7:20 she goes up to get ready for bed and then sit in her bed with toys or books. Lights out at 7:30-40 ish. It has been this way for a year now.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:48 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• keep putting him in bed and placeing him back in his bed every time he gets up. dont talk to him just keep putting him back in bed. after a while he will get the hang of it. its a Super Nanny trick that works!
    Eyes6519

Answer by Eyes6519 at 10:02 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• my son is 4 and lays with his head on my lap to go to sleep almost every night! if he is really tired, he will fall asleep on the floor or the couch but he does not go to sleep in his bed. we do put him there after he falls asleep and he stays there all night!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 10:15 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• in the past with my now 3 year old son, we just let him lay in bed and he would just talk to himself or run around and go to sleep around midnight and wake up at 7am and was constantly crabby. SO recently i tried something new (3days ago) i talk to him and tell him it is bed time and what happens at bed time in order. He says to me, HUGS, KISSES, TUCK IN, U shut my closet and leave. I said very good, but do we talk or are we quite He says QUITE, I say good, DO WE GET OUT, he says NO, I say good, then i ask him DO WE CLOSE OUR EYES And get a good night rest so we can get strong and he says yes, and then i kiss him again and say lights out means what and he says night and no talk. He is right, and i have him in bed by 7:30pm and he falls asleep around 8pm and wakes up at 7:30am.
    NAP IS MORE OF A STUGGLE< BUT talking to him is working on that as well
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 2:08 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• It is best to lay them down for sleep early in the evening making it a routine. Having everyone in the home wind down as well would be great. A dark room with just a little light is best too. Routine and consistency in the key to this. You can find some great video clips on sleeping routines at http://www.toddlerbedandmore.com/toddler_tips.html. I know it is a challenge, been there...Good Luck!
    toddler101

Answer by toddler101 at 10:12 PM on Feb. 25, 2011