Do you understand?

The math they are teaching the kids now-a-days or is it confusing? Some of the homework my son brings home I cannot figure out--good thing his dad is a math whiz but sometimes it confuses him too!!

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 8:42 AM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I understand the math, but they want it written out in confusing ways - like "factor fireworks" I know the math behind it, but having to write it down a specific way is weird. My son missed how to do them because he was in AG during math (but he still has to do the homework from his regular class and AG). It was very simple for him once we figured out what exactly the teacher wanted.
    I'm have my teaching cert for 9-12 math, but sometimes the simple stuff is more difficult than the hard stuff!

Answer by missanc at 9:37 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I am not good at math, never have been. Funny thing though I was a math tutor for middle school (but they give us all the answers so it made it look like we knew what we were doing lol). Anything other then simple math is lost on me.

Answer by gemgem at 8:45 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• This is why I got tutors!

Answer by older at 8:43 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Yes, math is my favorite/best subject.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I think the difference is that they teach kids differently these days. They use different terms and that sort of thing. So while I understand how to do it if I explain it to the kids they think I am crazy because I do it differently then they do.

We had one teacher send home a booklet on how they were doing things in school so we could help the kids. I think if you are having problems helping them with their homework write a note to the teacher to see if they can send something home that will help you all.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:20 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• It can be very confusing. Some times I get it and sometimes I don't. Have you ever tried the web site http://mathforum.org/dr/math/
    You can ask Dr. Math a question or you may be able to find the answer on the site. it has helped my dh and I many times.
    ventingmom

Answer by ventingmom at 12:36 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• This is why I get the big bucks for tutoring!
    Anonymous