Should mothers be allowed to spank their children in public?

Im not talking like haul off in their rears but a quick spank...... What do you think?

familynsni

Asked by familynsni at 8:59 AM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If we ever acted out in public, my parents never hesitated to meet out a quick swat, but usually all my parents had to ask me was if I wanted a spanking or if I wanted to behave - I chose to behave about 90% of the time!! My parents were never mean about spanking, if we did something and they gave us a chance to behave and we chose not to, we got a spanking. Period. And it wasn't in the bathroom, it wasn't when we got home, it was right then and there.

I don't understand these kids that are allowed to run wild in public and misbehave. I'm not saying physical punishment is the only way to corrall your kid (it's not!), but I do wish I'd se more parents being parents in public.
    hippomom1919

Answer by hippomom1919 at 10:13 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• yes. a quick spank to discipline/get your child's attention is all that is needed. and its not anyone's business, period.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:06 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I have.... It was one time and that's all it took, and have never had to do it again. No one "allows" me to discipline my child. A quick pat on the butt isn't abuse IMO.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:03 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Yes, parenting does not stop simply because you are out in public. If some moms have the option to let their kids run wild, other moms should have the option to discipline their children as they see fit.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:12 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I will discipline my child when ever and where ever i am!!! No one should be telling a parent how to parent there child and discipline them if you choose not to spank or punish your child that is on you, not on the rest of the world it is sad to know why we have so many spoiled entitled thinking children in this country, because parents choose to do nothing to discipline their child.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 9:53 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Yes, if more parents did this we wouldn't have little bad asses running wild in the public!
    prettyinink2011

Answer by prettyinink2011 at 12:15 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

• No. We just had an issue like this come up Tuesday night. My dd had a game and it is the week of tournament so we know the kids are tired. Not just our kids that play and cheer, but their bros and sisters who are small have to be too. Were out until 8-9pm at night. Anyway I took dd to the girls room and this mom comes walking in with her little boy (around 3-4) and started yelling at him in front of the little girls in the bathroom. Mind you, my dd is NOT spanked. She starts telling little boy I am going to pull down your pants in front of all these girls and beat your ass. My eyes popped out and I took my dd out of the bathroom and said I will not subject my child to this violence wth? Not only did she humilate her child, but she also cussed, and introduced punishment that scared my kid bc she is never spanked. I told one of the coaches. They told the director. who told the resource office. I dont know what happened

Answer by gemgem at 9:03 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• I will parent my children ANYwhere. I've never cared what other people thought. If that meant a swat on their bums, then so be it. I would also put them in corners at stores
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:23 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• yes more parents need to spank. we have too many behavioral issue with kids these days and its because parentshave gone soft. I m sure most ppl wont agree with me but whatever happened to the days when you never saw children act unruly?

proudmom611

Answer by proudmom611 at 10:20 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Spank yes. Abuse no. Unfortunately this is subjective. A consider a swat on the but a correction while another may call it abuse. I consider pulling the pants down and spanking with a belt abuse where another my call that correction... I do not spank often (like hardly ever) but if my child darts into the street when they KNOW better, yes I will swat them on the butt and I reserve the right to do so.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:02 AM on Feb. 25, 2011