My 11 yr old son

Has been having issues in school, been mean to others (teachers and Adults) and I dont approve. Well he is with his dad at this point for his visitation. And his dad took him to the dr for help, (We done everything else we can do to help him, dr was the last resort) they want to do and sleep test on him and r looking into taking out his adnoids and tonsils. Could that be a cause of his outburst?

Lisa_Lynn

Asked by Lisa_Lynn at 9:10 AM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Health

• It has been noted that many children who appear to be ADHD are really dealing with sleep issues which are sometimes caused by tonsils/adenoid problems; it's the lack of sleep that may be manifesting itself as ADHD behaviors. I personally don't think it happens as often as stated so I'd be real sure before considering the surgery.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Yes, as Anon posted above, sleep deprivation can cause many problems, I am actually looking in to a sleep study for my son who is only 3 because he gets so little sleep, you can tell it very much causes outbursts and hyper activity -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:02 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• my son 11 , had oversized adanoids , had those and toncils taken out at 7 yrs old , that did nothing to change his sleep or adhd , it may for some , i doubt it ,
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 10:16 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• You should have him tested for food allergies. Allergies are a learned response & can manifest over time. He may be highly sensitive to certain foods that is causing behavioral problems. Gluten & dairy are common culprits. Ask for a food panel rast test for IgG & IgE antibodies. This test saved our son. We were able to pinpoint & remove 4 food items from his diet. He became a totally different child.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 5:18 PM on Feb. 25, 2011