If you know a man who DOES NOT have a good work ethic - Answer this question? adult content

DH works in the oilfield as a supervisor for a frac crew ..... Some of the men that work for him just seem to defy common sense and maturity ~ what the heck is wrong with these people? In today's economy if you have or find a good job you KEEP it.... some of these GROWN men seen to be walking out the door before they ever even get trained.

DH just called..... heads are rolling this morning.
DH works insane amounts of hours, comes home with oil and grease and mud all over him, goes anywhere from 24 to 48 hours without sleep, works his a$$ off -- and the crap that he has to put up with from some of the guys is just STUPID IMMATURE CRAP!

He's headed to the office right now (after working 18 hours) to write up FOUR of the guys...... one guy is supposed to be on the day shift...... that's 3AM to 3PM...... the guy comes to location at 3AM, works till 3PM --- DOES NOT leave to go home.... stays on location ALL FREAKING DAY sleeping in the van.....wakes his butt up at 2AM and GOES HOME!

UH dipsh!t, you were supposed to be back to work at 3AM -- WHY would you sleep on location till 2AM then Go home?? How stupid can you get?? O well -- this guy is already on probation. This is considered a no call/no show and will cost him his job. (and the guy didn't tell ANYONE that he wasn't leaving location -- just assumed that if he slept in his truck that would count for "Working overtime".

I mean really girls.... that's like you or I working 9-5 in the office, going out to the parking lot, sleeping in our car all night, then NOT going back in to the office at 9 the next morning. DH said he called the guy at 6AM this morning and the guy told him... Well, I was on location for 24 hours - DH is sooo pissed.

I don't get it AT ALL....... if someone has a brother or BIL or friend who seems to have a sh!tty work ethic.... help me out here.... what the hell are these people thinking?

ShelbyShareAlot

Asked by ShelbyShareAlot at 9:11 AM on Feb. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• They dont care. My son in law and my son are this way. My son in law I hoped would grow out of it but he hasnt. Atleast my son is just 18 and stupid. I can give him time to grow out of it. My son in law seems to work long enough to draw an unemployment check and then sits on it until it runs out and then starts all over again. Now he isnt even doing that. My dd is working her butt off to support this man & her 2 kids. It pisses me off.
    My dh works very hard & after his 2nd lay off got offered a crumby job. He took it. The guys he worked with told him straight up they are only working 4-5 mths then they can get fired & get unemployment. On top of it they were smoking weed at work. My husband told his boss worried (they travel overnight) if they get pulled with drugs in the car theyd all get busted. The supervisor apparently smoked too and fired my dh for complaining. Go figure.

Answer by gemgem at 9:15 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• http://hbr.org/product/hmu-guide-to-managing-people/an/2122-PDF-ENG

If your husband is in a mangement position, the first thing he needs to learn is that he will never change people.

He needs to change himself and his approach on handling his employees.

A good supervisor or boss has good employees, he doesn't look good to his superiors by complaining that his employees are childish or irresponsible. It's his job to make them better and productive employees.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:30 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Oh, and BTW, these guys are behaving this way because they can.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:31 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Quiet-Strength/Tony-Dungy/e/9781414318011/

one more resource for your DH

tony dungy is a master at getting men to do the right thing, at work, in life and on the field.

Highly recommend these books by him for you guys. It sounds like your DH has a good job, and he could really advance quickly by learning how to effectively manage the unmanageables. GL

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:40 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• That's why i quite management. I wasn't the one who did the hiring, but i had to put up with immature, "the world revolves around me", and "poor me" crap all the time from the worthless employees, whom i couldn't fire either. I had to just refer them back to management for re-training! BS.I had employees that did some outrageous crap too, and when the big boss came down, they would lie and put on pitty stories about how hard their life is. One of my WHITE employees even found and 'expert' in the black community to deliver a presentation on how people of color have a different perception of time because of all the time spent back in the plantation fields, therefore that's why they are always late and how we need to excuse that behavior. This white employee was dating a black woman, so he thought it applied to him too. My idiot boss bought the whole BS. I thought it was insulting to every race, and that was my last straw!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Jewjewbee - I appreciate your links but I don't think blaming my husband and insinuating that he's a bad boss is quite the answer to why grown men don't want to work for their pay. A bunch of these guys are what they call "Contract Hands", meaning they come from a temp company. It's an unfortunate part of the equation to get the job done while they're doing turn-around management. DH has moved up the ladder fast; 6 years ago he was a pump operator (lowest level in the frac world) he's learned every piece of equipment and worked his way up to 3rd from the top in a short time. Unfortunately, there are people out there who don't want to work - and getting on at a temp company for the oilfield is a quick way to earn a lot of money. Some of these wimps don't realize how hard the work really is until they're on location. Then it becomes DH's problem to weed out the dead-beats. I just said *I* don't get their lack of work ethic.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 10:01 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Anon.. I get it... and unfortunately a high percentage of these problem employees that DH is dealing with *is* of a particular race - BUT we refuse to believe that it's anything to do with race (cuz trust me he's dealing with a whole divers group here, he doesn't accept race as an excuse to or for anything and also won't recognize it as a badge of entitlement either - you're either a man or a mouse when it comes to the oilfield).... I think it's more of a geographical attitude. This employer is a major player in this area (a very rural, group of small towns) and they were losing 2 Million a month before the team DH is on came here and started turning it around, they went from losing 2 Million a month to posting profits of 14 Million plus in 8 months that certainly doesn't spell ineffective management. But sometimes it just hard to take a community of people who prefer welfare wages to honest (but hard ) work that pays well.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 10:16 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• My husband works with a guy like that. This guy thinks that just because he was in the marines for a few years that he has done his time and can sit on his butt all night while my husband and his other co-workers bust their butt doing all the work.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:17 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• Jewjewbee - I appreciate your links but I don't think blaming my husband and insinuating that he's a bad boss is quite the answer to why grown men don't want to work for their pay.
    ---
    It's his life and job, he can manage it as he wishes. Although, clearly his way doesn't seem to working very well for him.
    If people were just naturally good workers with great work ethics we wouldn't need Supervisors-Would We??
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:25 AM on Feb. 25, 2011

• This is part of the generation M-E. People aren't being raised to work hard, they are being raised to get what they want and not a minute harder than they have to. it isn't just men or one thing we can really blame.. its the new outlook on life where even some of the older non generation M-E people are seeing the results of M-E and adopting it because it's easier.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:37 AM on Feb. 25, 2011